Albums currently kicking your ass

Gospel of the Horns - Sinners / Monuments of Impurity

152385.jpg

:kickass: :kickass:

iron-maiden-powerslave.jpg

Listening to this for the first time in years and I'm starting to think I prefer it to the Di'Anno-era albums. Not one single flaw throughout.

11df9330dca03348b5cc1010.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Listening to this for the first time in years and I'm starting to think I prefer it to the Di'Anno-era albums. Not one single flaw throughout.

It's probably their most consistent album but I wouldn't call it flawless. They began a trend towards rehashery with it that would develop into wholesale depletion of inspiration within a few albums.

...and that has something to do with the album itself how?

I mean that it started the trend, as in, there are signs of uninspiration that became more apparent on later albums. The Duelists is blatantly imitative of Where Eagles Dare, the same song shares an identical melody with Rime of the Ancient Mariner, 2 Minutes to Midnight relies almost entirely on the most overused riff of metaldom, Aces High borrows a riff from Raven's Faster Than the Speed of Light, etc. The album is mostly original and brilliant, but the idea well was shallowing rapidly at that point.

Well I don't engage in superficial nitpicking and find it to easily be some of the best material Maiden has put out.

Well I don't engage in superficial nitpicking and find it to easily be some of the best material Maiden has put out.

It's probably my favorite Bruce-fronted album as well, but only so much rehashery can be dismissed before it becomes a problem. Iron Maiden is guilty of using other band's ideas or reusing their own more than the other major bands.

So does every metal band in existence. Iron Maiden have more than enough originality in (at least) their first seven albums to be a recognizable band on their own.

14w8zs7.jpg

Retro-metal at its finest.

e71moz.jpg

The unexpected return to grandeur from one of thrash's legendary acts.

2gxebo2.jpg

Klone grooves like a bastard but has much more to offer. A classy modern metal act.

33e4ysl.jpg

Of course! Much better than A Twist in the Myth.

2eatfuc.jpg

Progressive death metal from Italy that's really progressive and full of great ideas.