Albums Of The Year 2003

Not bad no.

Last night we (4 friends and me) had our annual Top 10 listening evening. The five of us provided our individual top 10 of 2003 and made 1 top 10 out of these 5 lists. Evergrey ended at no. 4 in this mutual top 10.:headbang:

[QUOTE=Demonspell]Recreation Day is in my personal top ten, and by my own estimation I probably listened to it more than any other 2003 release this year...[/QUOTE]

Same here... it's even my No. 1 for this year.. Just had to hand it in for the magazine I work for..

1. Evergrey – Recreation Day

2. Moonspell – The Antidote

3. Type O Negative – Life Is Killing Me

3. COB – HCDR

4. Satyricon - Volcano

5. Soilwork – Figure Number Five

6. Old Dead Tree – The Nameless Disease

7. Nightfall – I Am Jesus

8. Machine Head – Through The Ashes Of Empires

9. King Diamond – The Puppet Master

10. Textures - Polars

11. Callenish Circle – My passion // Your Pain

12. Ill Nino – Confessions

13. Finntroll – Visor Um Slutet

Best concerts: Moonspell at Hof Ter Loo, Satyricon at Biebob, Evergrey at De Bosuil/Weert, Red Hot Chili Peppers at Sportpaleis, Breed77 at Dour

Callenish Circle was a real disappointment. :erk: Only the last 3 songs are as good as the stuff on Flesh-Power-Dominion.
Recreation Day was probably one of the best albums yeah...though there were many good ones.

Anneke said:
[QUOTE=Demonspell]Recreation Day is in my personal top ten, and by my own estimation I probably listened to it more than any other 2003 release this year...

Same here... it's even my No. 1 for this year.. Just had to hand it in for the magazine I work for..

1. Evergrey – Recreation Day

2. Moonspell – The Antidote

3. Type O Negative – Life Is Killing Me

3. COB – HCDR

4. Satyricon - Volcano

5. Soilwork – Figure Number Five

6. Old Dead Tree – The Nameless Disease

7. Nightfall – I Am Jesus

8. Machine Head – Through The Ashes Of Empires

9. King Diamond – The Puppet Master

10. Textures - Polars

11. Callenish Circle – My passion // Your Pain

12. Ill Nino – Confessions

13. Finntroll – Visor Um Slutet

Best concerts: Moonspell at Hof Ter Loo, Satyricon at Biebob, Evergrey at De Bosuil/Weert, Red Hot Chili Peppers at Sportpaleis, Breed77 at Dour[/QUOTE]
Though I agree with most of that, I see no Arch Enemy's Anthems of Rebellion there...and that is sacrilege because that album kicks serious ass!

Mine too, but I so very, very nearly completely passed them by.

I tend to download samples from various places (I mean the 1min multi-track type sampler collections), mostly MelodicRock.com though. Every now and then I sift through these and sort them into 3 buckets (Good, Okay and Bad).

For reasons I cannot explain I left an Evergrey track in the Bad collection! Don't shoot me yet! :) Later on I was making some purchasing decisions and had Recreation Day on the list having then read a review, but noting that I had a track in the Bad bucket I very nearly deleted this from the list. However I gave it another go and as I recall, took a bit of a chance, based on that single 1min sampler track that I had left and the review I'd read.

Thank God !!! Some quotes I wrote to a mailing list I'm on from various dates:

Just received their "Recreation Day" CD. I have got to say that Inside/Out Music do some *seriously* quality packaging for their CDs. Lovely.

This is actually a really superb album, IMHO.

Took me a few listens but on the 3rd go I'm really getting into this. Reminds me of a few things I can't quite place, probably most notably "Lion's Share" of whom I loved "Fall From Grace" but was less wow-ed by their follow-up "Entrance" from a couple of years ago.

I think it's a fairly safe bet that this'll be my album of the year this year, FWIW.

My top 5:
1. THE OLD DEAD TREE - The Nameless Disease
2. TOMORROW'S EVE - Mirror of Creation
3. POVERTY'S NO CRIME - The Chemical Chaos
4. SUN CAGED - s/t
5. GREEN CARNATION - A Blessing in Disguise

My Top 10,

1. The Old Dead Tree - Nameless Disease
2. Dream Theater - Train of Thought
3. Evergrey - Recreation Day
4. Circle II Circle - Watching in Silence
5. Kamelot - Epica
6. Aina - Days of Rising Doom
7. Masterplan - Masterplan
8. Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild
9. Wolverine - Cold Light of Monday
10. At Vance - The Evil in You

Wooooooow, lots of people seem to know the old dead tree over here.. Cool.. I got the cd through a friend and just love the variety in there. And then I saw them perform live and that was just the icing of the cake. Very impressive band..

Anneke said:
Wooooooow, lots of people seem to know the old dead tree over here.. Cool.. I got the cd through a friend and just love the variety in there. And then I saw them perform live and that was just the icing of the cake. Very impressive band..
Curiousity isn't alwasy a bad habbit...........found their website...and some sound samples, the few tracks i've heard are very promising, sounds very nice.

Henk, who know knows what music comes with this bandname

well, mine top10 would look something like this..
1. kamelot - epica
2. sun caged - s/t (i would put here andromeda, but their album came out late '02 in korea)
3. power of omens - rooms of anguish (it would be in 02 but officialy came out in '03)
4. alkemyst - meeting in the mist
5. dream theater - train of thought
6. act - last epic (not completly metal but hey, it rules :))
7. evergrey - recreation day
8. sonata arctica - winterhearts guilde
9. zero hour - metamorphosis
10. altaria - invitation

1. The Devin Townsend Band - Accelerated Evolution (An easy winner)
2. Evergrey - Recreation Day (I actually forgot it was 2003, not a year earlier)
3. Masterplan (I can't understand how the former mebers of such a crappy band as Helloween can make this king of stuff - this album is godlike!)
4. Tarot - Suffer Our Pleasures (Crazy Finns showing us heavy metal isn't dead yet) / Twilightning - Delirium Veil (The younger Finns showing us all power metal isn't composed yet) / Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll (the drunken Finns showing us they are angry ;) )

I just bought the The Old Dead Tree album yesterday too. :) Remembered you people had praised it, gave it a listen in the store and that's was it...
Now for some reason I still have 15? that I'm not supposed to have. But I'm glad, cause when I let go on of my promise of not buying anything but PoS albums I did it with style at least. Got an Ayreon album coming, PoS being released soon and need to buy a Katatonia shirt...but this is way off-topic. I'll just put in my list pretty much off the top of my head.

Top 10 2003:

1. Green Carnation - A Blessing In Disguise
Different from Light of Day, Day of Darkness, yet great beautiful music all the same.
2. Anathema - A Natural Disaster
I had already gotten down to Nr. 6 but then I remembered this album. Just beautiful and depressing, with a touch of anger...
3. Opeth - Deliverance
Not as good as the previous ones, but it's still an awesome album. Angry album, though my favourite song is the more balanced Master's Apprentices...
4. Evergrey - Recreation Day
Close contest with the following ones, but they made their best album so far so...
5. Nevermore - Enemies Of Reality
Maybe it was the not so crystal clear production, or just the not that perfect music, but this album took me a long time to get into. Been loving it since I did. The music isn't always (Ambivalent, Create The Infinite) as brilliant as before, but Warrel wrote very very good lyrics (Never Purify, Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday, Who Decides?, Seed Awakening) and Loomis still knows how to write good music too (I, Voyager, Seed Awakening).
6. The Old Dead Tree - The Nameless Disease
New-found love. :) Great concept/theme. Some rough edges here and there, but that also makes the album original.
7. Dredg - El Cielo
Different. Mainly hard rock I guess, but with a very original touch. Worth checking out, if you don't know them yet.
8. Battlelore - Sword's Song
Tolkien-metal raises it's head from Lappeenranta. :) A more balanced album this time, with a little bit more poppy elements. A mix of heavy & melodic music, as well as melodic female vocals and growled male vocals...very good keyboards too.
9. Kotiteollisuus - Helvetistä Itään
This is where Suffer Our Pleasures was, but after brief thinking this whole album is good, where as with Tarot only the first half is really good, so there we go.
Hynynen is a little less pissed off, but wrote some great lyrics here again. Alas, some might not like it, but just cause you get radioplay, it doesn't mean it's shit. Good riffing, great vocals and an all-together great band.
10. Charon - The Dying Daylights
More rock and a little less metal as time passes. Which in my opinion is good. They don't sound so much like a pop-goth metal band anymore (though that was good too), and have changed their lyrical approach to a little bit more positive direction.

Well that's ten...

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden gets a honourable mention, but isn't on the list just cause Jon doesn't fucking realize that he could write new music for a new album too.
Same for Dream Theater - Train Of Thought, but the music is very often just not my cup of tea...great lyrics.
Also the same for Silentium - Sufferion - Hamartia Of Prudence. Interesting idea of having a concept album with a spoken play-like dialogue in between every song. Not the best music, but some very catchy stuff.
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness is good, but not as long-lasting as their previous albums.

Oh my god I couldn't fit Kamelot - Epica on the list. :cry: That's the 11th album then. ;)

Thank you, goodnight/evening/morning/afternoon/midday.

PRauhala said:
1.Adagio - Underworld (www.adagio-online.com)
2.Symphony X - Odyssey (www.symphonyx.com
3.DGM - Hidden Place (www.dgmsite.com)
4.Evergrey . Recreation Day
5.Andromeda - I=II (Two is one) (www.andromedaonline.com)
6.Sun Caged - Sun Caged (www.suncaged.com)
7.Richard Anderssons - Space Odyssey (www.anderssonmusic.com)
8.Ian Parry's Consortium Project III - Terra Incognita(www.consortiumproject.com)

...and many more! :headbang:
Sorry to ruin your list, but The Odyssey (Symphony X) was a 2002 release :err:

Adgio was my #1 as well :D