Albums that are unfarily bashed

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
Almost every band has one album that everybody seems to bash. In your opinion, what are some of the albums that are unfailry bashed? For me, it'd be Pantera's "The Great Southern Trendkill". It's got great tracks such as the title track, "Drag the Waters", "Suicide Note", and of course "Floods". Also unfairly bashed is "Reinventing the Steel". I love that album. "Revolution is My Name", "Goddamn Electric", and "Hole in the Sky" are great tracks.

Reinventing the Steel does have some great tracks, but GST is hardly listenable, even the atmospheric tracks are lacking, IMO.

I think people give The Haunted too much flack. Granted, the last three albums have pretty much blown ass, but the debut was a monster of an album.

It had a few moments of interest, but all the criticism upon the band hit home when i watched a video of theirs.

I came in the middle, and wondered aloud, "What new hardcore band is this?"

Well, the Edited Reader's Digest version of my reaction at the end of the video was this: When I realized it was The Haunted, the song didn't seem so good anymore.

yeah, people seem to dismiss the band entirely based on the crap they've been spewing out since Dolving initially left the band, at the same time ignoring a massive beast of a debut.

I remember when I was trying to get into the Haunted because everyone kept recommending them. I heard a lot of OKW and MMDI and couldn't figure out why I didn't like it. It seemed boring to me, and I thought I wasn't listening hard enough.

Then I found this board. Thank God I wasn't alone. :lol:

And Kamelot do most certainly own.

Great Southern Trendkill took me a long time to get into, but now I love it. Reinventing the Steel has a few good songs, but overall sounds like they were just going through the motions.

Metallica - The Black Album

Most people that bash this started listening to Metallica in 1996 or later. So it's not thrash, who cares.

Pyrus said:
Yeah, TBA gets WAY too much shit. It's a good hard rock album with some metal tracks on there. Admit that "Enter Sandman" was a good song the first fifteen or so times you heard it; overplaying can ruin just about anything.

Sandman was played out by the time I was even old enough to remember it, but 'Of Wolf And Man' and 'God That Failed' are still two of my favorite Metallica tracks.

I'd say 'Slaughter Of The Soul' (and ATG albums in general) gets crapped on way too often. Most of the hate is just 'N*Flaymz teh GEIGH' melodeth bashing, but everyone seems to forget 'SOTS' was (almost) the first album to sound quite like that. I'll admit the last 1/2 or so of the album is okay at best, but nobody can deny 'Blinded By Fear' as a fuckin cool album opener.

I've read a good many people bashing Maiden's last two studio albums, which I think are excellent. In a list of top five Maiden albums, I'd put them in there with Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and Piece of Mind.

I agree that Slaughter of the Soul gets too much shit. Other good CDs that get too much shit:

Dissection - Storm of the Lights Bane
In Flames - pre-Clayman CDs
Emperor - Post In the Nightside Eclipse CDs. Sure, it's not black metal, but it's not bad.
Dying Fetus - all their stuff. they are by no means great, but they play decent, catchy dm
Morbid Angel - all post-Domination CDs. they are not as good as the earlier stuff, but they definitely don't suck.
Mayhem - Chimera
Suffocation - Souls to Deny

Life Sucks said:
I agree that Slaughter of the Soul gets too much shit. Other good CDs that get too much shit:

Emperor - Post In the Nightside Eclipse CDs. Sure, it's not black metal, but it's not bad.
Dying Fetus - all their stuff. they are by no means great, but they play decent, catchy dm
Morbid Angel - all post-Domination CDs. they are not as good as the earlier stuff, but they definitely don't suck.
Mayhem - Chimera
Wow. It's been a while since a post has sucked the words out of the mouth like this one. Exactly as you said, LS.

Well...except I don't like Morbid Angel, but whatever...:p

And although Brave New World was a great record with a new sound, it finally dawned on me that Dance of Death just flat-out sucks.

Life Sucks said:

Mayhem - Chimera

Every single one of those gets far more fellatio than stick though, you have to admit.