Dissection- The Past is Alive
Arch Enemy- Burning Bridges
Immortal- Damned in Black, Blizzard Beasts
Dimmu Borgir- Godless Savage Garden, Spiritual Black Dimensions
Necrophobic- The Nocturnal Silence
Entombed- Hollowman, Left Hand Path
Testament- Practice What You Preach

Im sure the're are more

Nile - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka. I picked this up when I was just getting into metal, and I thought it was terrible. I hated Nile for about two years, then I picked it up recently and realised it was absolutely stunning. I've felt like a moron since :D

Iced Earth - The Dark Saga
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Death - Human
Moonspell - Wolfheart
Demons And Wizards - Demons And Wizards
Control Denied - The Fragile Art of Existence

superjoint ritual - use once

listend to it once and was turned off, picked it up a few months(maybe a year) later and was like goddamn! and they ahve been one of my fav bands sense

hatebreed - perseverence
listened to it and aint like it, picked it up later and really liked it adn they have grown to be one of my favorite bands.

Destroyer 666 - phoenix rising

I got this when i wasnt used to constant blast beats, i thought it made the songs sound all choppy lol.

Psycroptic - The Isle Of Disenchantment

Took me a little while to get into this one, now they are possibly my favourite band!

Early Emperor

Black metal (especially the production) takes most people a while to get used to!

Akercocke - the goat of medes

good, very evil sounding album :)

Well, Marilyn Manson's last album was like that for me, because there was a lot of bullshit spouted about it before its release to try and make it sound like Dada-ist art. Actually, it's not a bad record, but it's not at all what the insiders were building it up to be.

Pulp's "This Is Hardcore" as well. I didn't listen to it for about two years after the first time, and when I did put it on again, it seemed I was noticing things I hadn't before. I have the terrible habit of half-listening to a new disc while I write, work or websurf, and I'm sure a few quite good albums are languishing on my CD rack because they didn't grab my divided attention at the time.

Others include Archaean Harmony's "Nihility Mundane Soul", Burzum's "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" (once I got past the initial shock of Varg's ludicrous shriek, I really started to enjoy that one) and Lucifugum's "Invade" (I thought it was absolute shit at first, and a couple of further listens have raised my opinions of it to "fairly average").

Deeds of Flesh - Reduced To Ashes
The production put me off. Couple months later I gave it a proper listen and fuckin love it.

Nile (in general)
Thought they weere bollox until I forced myself to listen through 'ITDS' and 'BSoV' and then gradually began to appreciate them more.

Lamb of God - ATPB, I didn't like the production and Randy's new vocal style at first, but after a few listens I really loved it.

Spawn of Possession - Cabinet, it was chaotic when I first heard it that it didn't make sense until alot of listens.

Suffocation - Pierced From Within, this was a few years ago, but when I first heard it didn't sound special and I got bored of it quick, now I believe it is the greatest brutal death CD ever made and one of my top 5 cd's in my collection..

Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin, I was really getting into Napalm Death at the time, and this of course was much more melodic. It took me a few months to like it, its now one of my fave albums.

Converge - Jane Doe, I bought this after seeing rave reviews on amazon. I thought it sucked at first, all the songs just tied together into one tangled mess. Oh and I couldnt understand the lyrics at all...which put me off quite a bit. Its now one of my favourite ever albums, and im glad i bought it, ive lost the cd since though...thank FUCK i have it on media player!!!

Converge - Petitioning the Empty Sky, after getting into Jane Doe so much and loving it, i thought id better check out their other albums. This is their second album (i beleive?) and it is very very different from jane doe. Very unpolished, manic, schizo, it flew straight over my head just like jane doe did! I still havent fully gotten into it, but im beginning to apreciate it, im just finding jake's whiny style a bit annoying at times

Exhumed - Anatomy is Destiny, fucking album of the year!!! i didnt think it was so great at first, i wasnt too keen on the singers fast almost "rap" death metal style, lol...but its growing on me, and the album really picks up towards the end "Nativity Obscene" is fucking killer, especially with the haunting choir section in the middle.

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness, i never hated this album, I just found the drumming to be a little thin...kinda like its in the background, not in your face enough, its hard to describe...anyway i love this album now and again im glad i got it! I love the song "suffocation" especially, with its mad breakdown in the middle, supoib!

Death - Human, after picking up "Individual Thought Patterns", my first death record, I was expecting more of the same catchy choruses, sweet bass licks, and technical drumming from human. Of course it has all these in abundance, but its altogether much more ferocious and angry! All the solos flying past, and little drum fills peppered everywhere, had me dumbfounded on the first listen. I still find it a little hard to grasp in places, but its definetly one of my fave death metal albums!

Well the one i can think of at the moment is Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn, sure it's only the promo version but it's close enough. At first i thought it was pretty terrible, sounded just like gore obsessed but worse...but every time i listen to it, it gets better and better and i'm starting to like it, still not a patch on Vile though ;)

Seems like this happens with all my favorite aLbums...I hear total shyt, then for some reason I keep listening and somethin hapens. Never happened with death or black metal though...just can't seem to tell em apart.

Spirit In Black said:
Lamb of God - ATPB, I didn't like the production and Randy's new vocal style at first, but after a few listens I really loved it.

Suffocation - Pierced From Within, this was a few years ago, but when I first heard it didn't sound special and I got bored of it quick, now I believe it is the greatest brutal death CD ever made and one of my top 5 cd's in my collection..
Wow. I loved those CDs the first time I heard them because they are so damn catchy. The Spawn Of Possession CD took a little bit longer to get into; I liked the technicallity right away, but it took me a little while to really be able to get into the songs.