Albums with the best production

Most of these are extremely crisp and 3 dimensional sounding, as well as densely layered... some are there just because i fucking LOVE the sound of them, even if not an engineering marvel :p

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled?
Raison D'Etre - Requiem For Abandoned Souls
Steve Roach & Vir Unis - Blood Machine
In Slaughter Natives - Resurrection: Return Of The King
Birchville Cat Motel - Chi Vampires (if you have a good sound system, this one will fucking overwhelm your senses)
Strapping Young Lad - S/T
Nevermore - Dead Heart In A Dead World
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Soilwork - A Predator's Portrait

vampyr&#233 said:
You mean this list:

Nope. I didn't.
Too long...

lmao both your posts got a laugh out of me good job lads

oh yeah and by the way about that list:

Falling into infinity by DT is so overproduced it spoils the album. In Absentia is my favourite production if we're talking rock.

Death_To_False_Metal said:
Tool Aenima & Lateralus . David Botrill is an amazing producer ( See Peter Gabriel, Muse , Mudvayne) Danny Carey's drum sound is Great on both !

Steven Wilson : Porcupine Tree's Lighbulb Sun and In Absentia are just amazing sounding albums ! Deadwing was somewhat of a let down production wise comared to those two !
Black WaterPark : DUH !!!

Tool actually have produced ALL of their stuff themselves. The "producer" is only listed because they wanted a production credit. Those people were simply there as consultants. Bottrill also worked as mix engineer, though. Read the interview with Adam Jones in the current issue of Guitar World magazine. He talks about this.

I agree with you on Wilson's production ability. In Absentia is one of the best sounding albums that I've ever heard.

Megadeth - Cryptic Writings

It seems to me like their answer to the black album (even if it was a few years late) and the production blows the black album out of the water, IMO.

metal_wrath said:
Ironic that your username is death to false metal, seeing this list. Well anyway -1 for listing Metallica black album (multiple tracks don't require any talent at all), plus Carcass' hearwork did not have good production imo. Are you kidding about Micheal Jackson and..... Limp Biscuit. LMFAO @ Seal and Prodigy and U2 etc... I give up

when did he say metal albums with the best production?

Devin Townsend - Terria
Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind (and lots of other Daniel Lanois productions)
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (end of Soma DOES have 36 or so tracks of guitar)
El P - Fantastic Damage (not too much hip hop around here, but that's a masterpiece)

Robbie Robertson - Self titled. The music is good but the production is beyond amazing.

Any Led Zeppelin album. Jimmy Page knew what he was doing.

Pink Floyd from DSOTM on.

Anything Steven Wilson was even marginally involved with later than about 1995. This includes all Porcupine Tree albums since Signify, all 3 Opeth albums he produced, all of his side projects and the other albums he has produced for other artists.

My beef with Devin Townsend albums is that is doesn't manage to have an exceptionnal drum sound but his albums are well produced but not enough acoustic sounding to me, a little too digital.

Death_To_False_Metal said:
My beef with Devin Townsend albums is that is doesn't manage to have an exceptionnal drum sound but his albums are well produced but not enough acoustic sounding to me, a little too digital.
Uhhh, what? His production quality is amazing!! Listen to Terria, Synchestra, or Accelerated Evolution and tell me the drums are not MASSIVE!! Although there is always so much going on, everything is always very separated. You can easily distinguish each element. He fucking RULES!! And listen to Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos. I think you should have your ears checked, bud. ;)

Yes, Cryptic Writings was a great album

I'd go with the Wall over the other Floyd albums. So much material & so crafty. What an amazing concept that album was.

townsend is definitely overrated, but its understandable...hes achieved that holier than thou status similar to akerfeldt, swano and others. his production aproach is interesting and thought out, but i often find it to be TOO over the top. Basically it sounds like hes trying too hard to do too much at any given moment sometimes. ive liked a handful of his albums, but theres been many i thought were pretentious piles of #$%*, so its a tossup.

I hear you.....Terria was the first one I had and thought I was in for a huge ride, picking up the next five or six. Most of the rest hasn't impressed me too much, some great stuff here and there but inconsistent. Terria still one of the greatest things I've heard though.

Off the top of my head:

Dark Side
Riverside - Both albums sound great
Green Carnation - Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness (I really love the drum sound)
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour (the guitar is just monstrous)
Orphaned Land - Mabool
Dark Tranquillity - Character
Metallica - S&M
Camel - Rajaz
Symphony X - V
Subterranean Masquerade - Temporary Psychotic State
Anathema - Alternative 4
Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. II

As for Opeth, I personally love the sound on Morningrise. The production definately adds so much more to the songs.

I don't agree with half of the albums listed here- whilst a lot of them are decent albums, many of them don't sound particularly good. I don't really like Riversides production for one... and though Devin Townsend's production on Synchestra was definitely an improvement, I don't think Terria was done very well. I do love the brick wall thing though, suits the sound perfectly. What's with people saying Deadwing doesn't sound as good as In Absentia????

Anyway, my list off the top of my head.

Opeth- Blackwater Park, Damnation (neither are perfect, esp. Damnation, but they both accomplish the sound the band needed imo.)
Porcupine Tree- In Absentia, Deadwing
Pain of Salvation- Be
Mars Volta- Deloused, Frances
Mr. Bungle- California (sooo nice and warm... beautiful production)
Secret Chiefs 3- Book of Horizons
Jeff Buckley- Grace
Radiohead- Ok Computer (techinically not brilliant, but perfect for the music & style IMO)

metal_wrath said:
Ironic that your username is death to false metal, seeing this list. Well anyway -1 for listing Metallica black album (multiple tracks don't require any talent at all), plus Carcass' hearwork did not have good production imo. Are you kidding about Micheal Jackson and..... Limp Biscuit. LMFAO @ Seal and Prodigy and U2 etc... I give up

Probably has to be the most stupid post ive ever read.

Do you even understand anything at all about what your post means? Cause i dont.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i like your avatar ^. did you do it? do you have a large version i can see?
Nah, a mate just sent me the picture on email- she found it on the web somewhere. The original image I have is only slightly bigger than whats displayed in my avatar.. very cool pic tho.