Albums with the best sounding Blast-beats

I usually HATE middle eastern sounding metal, like those cheesy fkng harmonic minor/diminished scales, sound horrible, but this is pretty damn original material, and those blasts sound fkng awesome, love those, and what a strange killer riff on top. It's like Nile, but with actually compelling music. I might give this album a few trips.

Reactions: AllShallFall
Yeah although that's great and l agree with you, he didn't play on this album. It was Doug Bohn
ah, true I see here. Left for 'Pierced' and 'Despise the Sun' then returned. Remembered he'd left later than that, but no...

Anyways I'm a fan of the hands together blast. Gave those rhythm sections a distinct flavor, very raw, almost amateur in feel. Trying to figure out which band uses it extensively like Suffocation did. Was under the impression maybe Immolation and Deeds of Flesh, but not what I just verified apparently.

Nah, l can't recall anyone playing the blast like Smith does with Suffocation.
I don't call it the 'hands together' thing, it's his snare and foot as one
I guess you're not a disciple of that faithful Derek Roddy blast tutorial from about a decade ago. And it's open hi hat and snare at the same time here, not sure about kick, hard to discern, but I've always known it to be overhead+snare simultaneously as the main concept. That's why it sounds so packed, the regular blast sounds less concentrated and more aerial and rapid as that separation of the snare and overhead gives it that spacious width and pace, the hands together Suffo blast is concentrated and feels like it slows down or thickens the riff.

Nah, l can't recall anyone playing the blast like Smith does with Suffocation.
I don't call it the 'hands together' thing, it's his snare and foot as one
It's called "hammer" blast and everything is played at the same time; snare, kick and cymbal (normally hats)

It's called "hammer" blast and everything is played at the same time; snare, kick and cymbal (normally hats)
Hard to tell technically what is different, but they sound well different though. The hammerblast, the iconic Mazurkiewicz Cannibal Corpse blast, sounds like a swarm. Double kicks are very present and build a strong bass presence in the background and makes the riffs sound bassier and more crowded. The hands together Suffo blast makes the riff sound grittier, more condensed and tight, but definitely doesn't bring that strong bass presence.
I thought it was due to the hammerblast being played with both feet alternating kicks, giving it that free flowing motion whereas the Suffo blast was intentionally one foot kick action, but I just watched a drum cover of 'Pierced' and it appears it's played with both feet alternating the kicks.

I think the hammerblast is 16 double kicks for 8 snares/overheads, so there's a kick in between each snare/overhead, which is what differentiates it from the hands together.

Hard to tell technically what is different, but they sound well different though. The hammerblast, the iconic Mazurkiewicz Cannibal Corpse blast, sounds like a swarm. Double kicks are very present and build a strong bass presence in the background and makes the riffs sound bassier and more crowded. The hands together Suffo blast makes the riff sound grittier, more condensed and tight, but definitely doesn't bring that strong bass presence.
I thought it was due to the hammerblast being played with both feet alternating kicks, giving it that free flowing motion whereas the Suffo blast was intentionally one foot kick action, but I just watched a drum cover of 'Pierced' and it appears it's played with both feet alternating the kicks.

I think the hammerblast is 16 double kicks for 8 snares/overheads, so there's a kick in between each snare/overhead, which is what differentiates it from the hands together.
The Paul blast is called bomb blast, where double bass drums are added to the normal blast. Smith's blast is the hammer one.

upload_2019-8-27_21-15-27.png

maybe it isnt the blasts themselves but Hellhammer's drumming is sick as fuck, and i really like the way the drums were mixed, they have a nice cavernous sound that is still in your face at the same time

The Paul blast is called bomb blast, where double bass drums are added to the normal blast. Smith's blast is the hammer one.
yeah yeah bomb blast. That's right. The swarming effect.

So wtvr one calls it, I can't think of any other band that utilizes the Suffocation one. I wonder if it came from a mistake. Like it wasn't totally clear at the time what a blast beat was and the guy just came up with this, and then decided it sounded cool and kept it. The regular blast sounds more sophisticated so I reckon that's why all bands went for that instead.