alcohol and metal gigs - yes or no?

ilikegrindcore

New Metal Member
Mar 23, 2009
hey folks... im curious... just how many brewskis do you all indulge in before playing a metal gig? steve? I'm only asking because my band (rotten sky) had a gig last night and we were paid in beer (6 x 0.33L or 4.23 US pints per musician)... we were headliners so I watched the other two bands' sets and I drank all of my beer... then we hit the stage, played through our set super fast and i managed to keep up (alcohol as a depressant relaxes muscles = good for speed). being thus relaxed, my right hand fingerpicking was going well, but the left hand was somewhat lacking in motor coordination. so... some beer... good for right hand, bad for left?

how does alcohol work for you?

what about weed?

steve - got any expert input?

also off topic... steve and friends... ever tried flatwound strings? i've been using them (D'Addario Chromes) for the last 3 months, live and on recordings, they've got warm, fat tone, some good punch, sit very well in a mix, but lack some attack, the drummer in my band likes them, what do you guys think about them?

cheers and beers
Victor

thanks for the answers guys... guess its a beer for the right hand and a joint for the left!! hehe

I think that anything that messes you up in any way should be ignored when you are planning to play.

It's sort of like what Lord Worm says about singing death metal, you shouldn't ever intake something that could screw up your singing (or your playing). It is about having fun, but it becomes no fun for the audience when you are so drunk you can't play. So I'd say hit the beers AFTER the show, but prior, just worry about the show.