Kindle - Yes or no?

I've been toying with the same idea. I don't know if it will be worth the money as I go through about a book a week, sometimes two if I'm bored.
Just out of curiosity how much is the average e-book to buy for the kindle?

buy from the amazon uk.
I buy all my games there and of course being in europe I don't get raped by taxes.
And the prices are cheaper than amazon.it, and I mean a lot cheaper.
From amazon uk one of the latest xbox games goes for 40 euro, while on amazon.it goes for 50 euros ...

You can't buy a kindle (and loads of other stuff, electronics mainly) from amazon UK if you're outside of UK. Only through the US one.

I've been toying with the same idea. I don't know if it will be worth the money as I go through about a book a week, sometimes two if I'm bored.
Just out of curiosity how much is the average e-book to buy for the kindle?

The price is usually more or less the same, you won't save that much on copyrighted books. But you won't pay any shipping costs and you'll have the book right away in your Kindle.

As a side note, you can get a lot of copyrighted books for free, if you're willing to come to the dark side :lol:

If you guys want to know if Kindle is a great deal (= will save you a lot of money), then I would say it's not. If you don't want to get warez ebooks and are not reading mostly classics (or 0.99 books at Amazon), you're going to pay more or less the same as for paper books. The money you save on shipping will eventually cancel out the cost of buying a Kindle, so in the end it's a tie. Generally speaking, Kindle is more of a practical tool that makes your life easier rather than something that will save you money.

I'm contemplating one of these for christmas, can the basic kindle (I think it's on its 3rd version now?) handle pdf's well? I'm more concerned about the images and stuff since I read a shite load of manuals/sheet music which I'm wary might format very oddly on the kindle. Any experiences?

I know it's been a while since I posted this thread but thought I should probably go back and say I did get a kindle and this thing is the shit!! Into my fourth book on it and have only charged her once. So nice to read - no glare issues at all. So portable and comfortable to read.. Loving it!

I recently got the second-generation Kindle as a hand-me-down and absolutely love it, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have plans to replace it with an iPad down the road. The screen is very pleasant to read on, but I don't find it any better than reading on my iPhone (other than size) and frequently find myself wishing that it was backlit.

My wife loves her kindle that I bought her. That being said, unless I were reading outside a lot or in sunlight a lot, I prefer my iPad. Since my main office is downstairs I have no issues for me. When it is nice out, my wife reads outside a lot so I totally know why she likes it

The screen is very pleasant to read on, but I don't find it any better than reading on my iPhone (other than size) and frequently find myself wishing that it was backlit.

strange you don't find it different from reading on an iphone. do you generally find that reading for extended periods from computer screens, smartphones and such doesn't mess with your eyes?

i've really been wanting one of these for a while now, solely because i've heard it reads like paper. i hate reading anything longer than a few pages worth with my iphone.

i've really been wanting one of these for a while now, solely because i've heard it reads like paper. i hate reading anything longer than a few pages worth with my iphone.
It definitely gives that paper-like impression when reading a kindle, but you do still get glare and such on the screen, so it's not perfect. I couldn't recommend a kindle enough to anyone who like to read on the go though.