EMINEM: YES or NO?

eminem: YES or NO?

• yes, i like him

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • no, no i don't like him (i probably suck)

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • i like him, but preppy is cooler

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
Isn't being a good MC what rap is about???

Eminem is a great MC...there's no denying it...

Vanilla Ice wasn't

but I think Ice has the slight advantage in acting chops.

Vanilla%20Ice-Cool%20As%20Ice.jpg

Yeah, I think that the quality of lyrics is absolutely what draws fans to a rap artist. It's just a different emphasis than alot of other forms of music where *awful* lyrics are tolerated because the music is so great or whatever. For example, I really like Anathema, but there is some pretty cliche-ridden cornball stuff there lyric-wise.

Actually my girf and I were just talking at length about the lyrics of Radiohead. I think they fit the music perfectly, but I partially would concede that they don't really hold up apart from that. However I think the list of musicians whose lyrics can stand up when read apart from the music is a short one. I would say Paul Simon (partic. later on in his career, but certainly not on his last album, which I think stunk) and maybe Tom Waits? I couldn't come up with many others...

i totally agree about radiohead...

as far as adding to that list,
OLD bruce springsteen
bob dylan
nick drake
...mmm all singer/songwriters.. strange.

oh... i think Hum's lyrics fit the music perfectly... and maybe some of them would stand up as poems on their own. mind you, very abstract poems... but good none the less.

after quite a few years of listening to lots of death metal, I've managed to tune out pretty much all lyrics. I have to actively pay attention to notice em at all and am only put off when they're REALLY bad.

I think Radiohead's lyrics are probably pretty all right, but they look kind of lame next to the stellarosity of the non-lyrical parts of the song. Every single Radiohead song whose lyrics I've deciphered has suddenly become less profound, less amazing, etc. That's not especially bad, in that the lyrics work perfectly to make the songs better (they don't really stand out in any way), but I have noticed that the Radiohead-liking population who thinks "Radiohead has the best lyrics EVAH" tends to have a lot of other fucked-up views about music, too.

Exactly! The cadence, delivery, tone, all that shit are much better than the substance. Great example: the songs "Kid A" and "No Surprises". (NS was my fave Radiohead song until I heard the lyrics)

eminem fucking sux. the only reason people like him is because of his lyrics. not that i get offended by his lyrics like pussies do, i respect that he speaks his mind. but it pisses me off cuz his "music" is so awful. no white rapper could ever make it, look at snow, or vanilla ice. if he wrote different lyrics, 90% of the people that like him wouldn't.