Any Yes fans here?

MarcusGHedwig

Mar 21, 2010
New York
www.myspace.com
I've always loved most of the handful (maybe 10-15) of Yes songs I've heard, but between all the lineup and style changes it's pretty fucking daunting trying to figure out which albums to get, especially since I get the feeling there are some I wouldn't like as much as others (for example, the song "Going for the One" makes me :yuk: ), and I usually prefer more modern sounding stuff - in fact, for reference, I would say my favorite song of theirs I've heard is this one:

So yeah, school me :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If you like the more modern sounding stuff you won't like this but I'll post it anyway...
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1rphfkk7is&feature=related[/ame]

"The Yes Album' is amazing - imho the best line up they had - I would suggest you check that one out for sure.

I'm in the exact same boat as you Marcus. I love a lot of their stuff...but not everything, and I don't know enough about them to figure out which albums I would like.

I have heard some yes material and always finding myself liking it. Considering that Dream Theater was originally heavily inspired by them and I am a huge DT fan, when I listen to yes, its like and older version of DT, and still just as awesome.

I've always loved most of the handful (maybe 10-15) of Yes songs I've heard, but between all the lineup and style changes it's pretty fucking daunting trying to figure out which albums to get, especially since I get the feeling there are some I wouldn't like as much as others (for example, the song "Going for the One" makes me :yuk: ), and I usually prefer more modern sounding stuff - in fact, for reference, I would say my favorite song of theirs I've heard is this one:

So yeah, school me :D

If you like modern Yes, definitely go for 90125. The song you posted is from that album and is easily the best modern sounding yes album. also check out "Owner of a lonely heart", and "Leave it" but honestly that's a pretty solid album all the way through.

I personally like their older stuff, and would recommend at least checking out the albums "Fragile," "Close to the Edge" and "The Yes Album"

Songs to check out: "Roundabout," "I've seen all good people" and "Siberian Khatru"

But those four albums are all pretty sick from start to fin.

I'm a semi-fan, I've bought some of their albums and really admire and respect, but never really got into them.
Maybe one of these days.. ELP is more to my liking, Emerson is a more "rock" keyboard player than Wakeman, who I've always thought of as .. "clunky".
(Mind you, he is a superb player and I wouldn't mind having half his talent, but still..)

The first album I bought was Keys to Ascension 2, which I thought was a great way to get to know them.
A live album with the classic line-up playing a sort of best-of and new songs on the 2nd cd. (Including Going for the one! :D)

I'm a semi-fan, I've bought some of their albums and really admire and respect, but never really got into them.
Maybe one of these days.. ELP is more to my liking, Emerson is a more "rock" keyboard player than Wakeman, who I've always thought of as .. "clunky".
(Mind you, he is a superb player and I wouldn't mind having half his talent, but still..)

The first album I bought was Keys to Ascension 2, which I thought was a great way to get to know them.
A live album with the classic line-up playing a sort of best-of and new songs on the 2nd cd. (Including Going for the one! :D)

Oh man ELP!

I never got too into em, but I was given the greatest hits as a gift and have listened to it a few times. I love Carn-evil? I think its called... and a few others. Any recommendations?

Definitely love the keyboard sounds, but their songs seem to all center around the keyboard.

Yes has more of a full band groove thing going on.

As most know, I'm a big prog-rock fan so Yes is definitely one of the bands that gets quite a bit of listening to while I'm going about my day.

Some of my favorite Yes songs - all sonic masterpieces:

Last edited by a moderator:
'Close to the Edge' and 'Fragile'

That right there encompasses "Classic Yes" to me. There's more friggin' "boxed sets" than you can shake a stick at, but those two albums are where it's at for me (along with "A Night of Yes Music Plus" which also has some of the Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe songs on it)

Oh man ELP!

I never got too into em, but I was given the greatest hits as a gift and have listened to it a few times. I love Carn-evil? I think its called... and a few others. Any recommendations?

Definitely love the keyboard sounds, but their songs seem to all center around the keyboard.

Yes has more of a full band groove thing going on.

Karn Evil 9, though the album is called Brain Salad Surgery. Any album from the first up to that one: Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Tarkus, Pictures at an Exhibition, Trilogy, Brain Salad Surgery. Pictures you could probably skip at first, and there's some good stuff on Works vol 1 & 2 but the rest is "meh..".

And seeing that they were a trio of keys, vox+bass and drums, it only makes sense that the keys would be prominent. And Emerson's B3 sound is.. :worship:

OK, sorry for going off topic, back to Yes.

First post but long time reader. Fragile and Close to the Edge is the best of classic Yes. Close to the Edge is an epic masterpiece and their peak with classically based keyboardist Rick Wakeman and Bruford on drums. Relayer is an interesting one and perhaps my favorite. It has Patrick Moraz (jazzier keys) and Alan White on drums. The track Gates of Delirium is from Relayer as Jind posted above.

As far as the Trevor Rabin stuff in the 80's, my choices would be 90125 and Big Generator. Good albums but a different and "re-invented" Yes to suit the times. I would say they succeeded because they sold well.

You absolutely *must* have The Yes Album, Fragile, Close To The Edge, Relayer, and at least one live recording with Howe and Wakeman (if possible, one with White and another with Bruford)... 90215 is interesting, but you'll know if you need to have it once you hear a few songs.

EDIT: At the risk of outing myself as a nerd (again...), I have to say that Steve Howe would make a hilariously over-elfy Elrond if we ever needed to make a progressive rock Lord of the Rings... say, to signal the end of the world at the hands of pure *pain*...

Jeff