Whitesnake - Whitesnake(1987)
MSG - Perfect Timing
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Def Leppard - On Through The Night
Pantera - Metal Magic
Pantera - Projects In The Jungle
Pantera - I Am The Night
Pantera - Power Metal
Frank Zappa - Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar(The box)

+ 50 or so more that i cant really remember exactly which ones(Styx, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Camel, Pink Floyd etc.).

I usually go for vinyl for the albums that were originally created for that format ...as in Pink Floyd, Jeff Beck, fusion/funk/jazz stuff, early Metallica etc. I have some newer albums on vinyl too, but I'd rather listen to my Meshuggah records from a cd. If I had better gear, I might go all vinyl. It's just pain in the ass to listen to a Opeth record when you have to change the disc/side after every 2 songs :D

I've halso had a few hazy "VINYLS ONLY" afterparties feat. enormous amounts of alcohol. Get's rid of the "HEY! Let's check out that cool video from youtube!" and "Hey check this cool song which I will play for 20 seconds and then change to another song and repeat until I pass out" problems. Putting on a vinyl is the only way to get some people to listen to a whole record straight through nowadays.

Do black metal records sound better in vinyl? really?

I'm guessing only kvlt stuff recorded in analog, or symphonic also?

Do black metal records sound better in vinyl? really?

I'm guessing only kvlt stuff recorded in analog, or symphonic also?

I have all the Emperor albums on vinyl and they sound amazing, then again they are the original pressings that I bought back in the early nineties when they were released. The Bathory and Celtic Frost albums sound awesome too but again, they're the original versions. The only remaster/re release on vinyl that I heard which blew me away was Master Of Puppets (the 180gram double lp thing) as I think that a lot of the re releases out there now on vinyl lack the warmth of the originals and are a cash grab by labels as vinyl is becoming popular again. Anything released in the 80's/early 90's sounds incredible because vinyl was the dominant format at the time.

am i right in thinking that an advantage of listening to modern releases on vinyl is that the masters are often different and softer?

Overall vinyl is quite cool, it adds a certain vibe to things and has a good "deliberateness" to it. It doesn't necessarily compliment every mix though

Precisely, it's quite often a case of picking something that should sound good on vinyl and hoping that it does...

Basically slow and organic is best........

Yeah I only buy vinyl too. Then again I listen to BM so everything worth a damn comes out on vinyl anyways :)

Deathspell Omega sounds incredible on vinyl

Which ones have you?? I've only SMRC and a box set that was released with all the earlier stuff (inquisitors of satan, Infernal Battles etc..) on picture discs. Would love to get Kenose on vinyl but it's pricey enough.

started to buy vinyls some months ago, I have:

Colour Haze - Tempel
Causa Sui - Summer sessiosn volumes 1, 2 and 3
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Iron Butterfly - In a gadda da vida
Steve Vai - Passion&Warfare
Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon
Ginger baker's Air Force 1
Ulver - War of the roses
Isis - The Red Sea
Yawning Man - Nomadic Pursuits
Decapitated - Winds of creation
Devin Townsed - Ziltod The Omniscient

And one I fucking love, Tool - Lateralus, limited edition double picture vinyil:

lateralus.jpg

am i right in thinking that an advantage of listening to modern releases on vinyl is that the masters are often different and softer?

Overall vinyl is quite cool, it adds a certain vibe to things and has a good "deliberateness" to it. It doesn't necessarily compliment every mix though

Precisely.

Then again Bm being BM you had a lot of 7" kult done by pandaface kids which..ah well..didn't really have any regard for the nuances of the medium.

I think Mikko Aspa of Clandestine Blaze/Deathspell Omega once raged about this either on his label website or in an interview (dipshits sending completely unprepared masters to pressing)