ALEHORN OF POWER III

So, let's talk travel plans here for us out-of-towners, since apparently there is no Alehorn website/forum. It looks like the blue line goes from O'Hare straight to the club, so that part's easy... anyone know if there is anyplace to stay within reasonable walking distance?

Been checking that as well. Seems that there's a couple in the area that you could walk to. But I think I'd end up staying on Wacker drive in a Hyatt or something. And if I fly in.. I'll take a taxi.

"So, let's talk travel plans here for us out-of-towners, since apparently there is no Alehorn website/forum. It looks like the blue line goes from O'Hare straight to the club, so that part's easy... anyone know if there is anyplace to stay within reasonable walking distance?"

I would say take the blue line back to the River Road stop. Lots of hotels around there. It's a LOT closer to the airport (if you're flying in), and it's probably cheaper than staying downtown. The ride is about 20 mins from the Damen/Milwaukee (Double Door) stop, and when you walk down the stairs the hotels are literally a block away. Just my opinion, though. :)

Been checking that as well. Seems that there's a couple in the area that you could walk to. But I think I'd end up staying on Wacker drive in a Hyatt or something. And if I fly in.. I'll take a taxi.

true enough... but I have ProgPower coming up about a month and a half later, and since this one is only a one-day festival, I was hoping to do it on the cheap, as much as possible.

I would say take the blue line back to the River Road stop. Lots of hotels around there. It's a LOT closer to the airport (if you're flying in), and it's probably cheaper than staying downtown. The ride is about 20 mins from the Damen/Milwaukee (Double Door) stop, and when you walk down the stairs the hotels are literally a block away. Just my opinion, though. :)

That sounds like a great idea... I have a cheap flight lined up, everything's on the same train route, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than taking cabs everywhere. I'll czech out those hotels, thanks! The L runs pretty much 24/7, right?

true enough... but I have ProgPower coming up about a month and a half later, and since this one is only a one-day festival, I was hoping to do it on the cheap, as much as possible.

That sounds like a great idea... I have a cheap flight lined up, everything's on the same train route, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than taking cabs everywhere. I'll czech out those hotels, thanks! The L runs pretty much 24/7, right?

The Blue line runs 24/7, but it also runs slower the later it gets. If you get out of the venue at 2am.....it runs about every half hour/hour with only 2 cars. Also, I'm not sure it stops at every stop, although I think after the Harlem stop it stops at all stations. I think it's the only one that runs all night since it goes to the airport.....here's a link for ya, hope it helps :)

http://www.chicagotransitauthority.com/maps/rail/blue/Rosemont.pdf

And a link for the Damen stop....

http://www.chicagotransitauthority.com/maps/rail/blue/Damen.pdf

Good luck!!

Holy crap, I didn't see this before...I'm slacking in my Travel Guru duties! Luckily, prncsslime is right on. Going back out west to a hotel is a good idea.

The only problem with the Blue Line is that it's slow as hell these days because the tracks are bad. They're currently repairing them to bring the speed back up, but that actually might make it worse, because there are times (particularly on weekend nights) when they close down sections and make you get on a bus instead. You'll be able to check for that info http://www.transitchicago.com/news/motion/szep.html as the date approaches.

Despite that, it's still the obvious solution for the cost-conscious metal traveler. The door to the Damen stop is literally 30 feet from the door to the venue. When going to the Double Door, even though I have a car, I used to drive in to the Cumberland station, and then take the Blue Line in the rest of the way, because it often just as fast and easier than parking. Now that it's slow I don't do that anymore, but hopefully when they get it sped back up I can switch back to it.

Neil

Gah....totally forgot about the work they are doing on the blue line....thanks skyrefuge for the link.....it's the old age that's getting to me lol;)

Phew, for a while there it looked like Amanda Palmer was going to be playing in Chicago on the same night as this, but now, it looks like she's the night before. Not that it would have been a tough decision, Alehorn would have had to get by without me! But now at least I get to see both. Oh, and if anyone is traveling to this show, getting in early, and you want to see something a bit different, I highly recommend Amanda!

Neil

This thing is right around the corner. So, who's going?

I won't be flying in, as previously planned. I'll be driving. It's cheaper and less of a hassle, considering exactly where the venue is. Depending on who's there, I may hang out and party afterward, or I might just drive home.

PHARAOH!!!!!!!!!!

How was it?
Pretty good ... the standouts for me were Pharaoh, and Slough Feg.

This was like Pharaoh's 2nd gig .. they seemed like live veterans to me .. did a nice job. I gota kick out of Tim Aymar (vox) .. he doesn't look nearly as metal as he sounds. He's kind of got that "everyman" look. Still though .. he rocked.

Slough Feg is highly energetic, and their songs translate better to the live enviornment than on cd. Scalzi is all over the place, and his lead guitarist is a standout in the live setting with his energy.

I caught about 2/3 of Trouble's headlining set. I saw them a couple months back .. in which turned out to be Eric Wagner's 2nd to last performance. Doing the singing now is Kory Clarke of Warrior Soul fame ... he was okay, but I prefer Wagner. Clarke is still learning the material .. had hand written lyrics on the floor for nearly every song. He's stoop down after almost every song, and pull out the next sheet. Whatever you got to do to get it down I guess.

Bible Of The Devil was my least favroite band of the night. All their stuff sounds the same. I didn't hear much in the way of melody, and at times it just seemed like a guitar jam fest. I was bored during this set.

Icarus Witch was pretty good .. thought the lead singer would be more energetic though. The guitarists made some moves now and again, but the singer just kind of stood around. All in all they were pretty good live .. I got a taste of their live stuff at the Trouble show I saw a while back, but they only played about 3 or 4 songs that night. This time out they got 45 minutes ... which seemed to be about the same for each band throughout the night.

All told it was a good show. I went last year as well, and will probably go again in the future if they have another one.

The turnout for this is always light .. maybe 100 people last night. The venue is more than adequate for smaller sized gigs like this. The sound is good, and the stage is raised up a bit. Both times I've been there I've been able to just go right up front to the stage.

Britt

Pharaoh was just awesome, my favorite band for the night even if Tim looks a lot like Jon Lovitz. :lol: Seriously I though he was just a roadie or somethig until he started singing.
Slough Feg was really good, their stage presence really stood out and their songs sound a lot better live than on cd. It also helped that I was front row and Scalzi and Angelo both had their guitars in my face.
Icarus Witch did great, their bassist is a great player and the singer can definetly wail, they just didn't have much of a stage presence but I guess if the crowd would of been a lot more into them that would of been different. Good set though.
I left right after Slough Feg, not much of a Trouble fan.