Alesis guitar link?

muckypup1

Sinister Haven \m/
Jul 13, 2009
UK, Islington
I was wondering dudes, is the Alesis guitar link usb guitar cable any good? I want a easier way to record my guitars instead of through the line in input but don't have a lot of money at all to spend. So its going to be this cable or the Behringer super cheap guitar interface.
If anyone on here has used it, post here please! I need to know if its any good :kickass:

I was wondering dudes, is the Alesis guitar link usb guitar cable any good? I want a easier way to record my guitars instead of through the line in input but don't have a lot of money at all to spend. So its going to be this cable or the Behringer super cheap guitar interface.
If anyone on here has used it, post here please! I need to know if its any good :kickass:

I threw one on my Amazon wishlist for Christmas. Even if the conversion is so-so it's a great tool if you just want to plug in to a laptop and throw down a few parts.

So it won't work with something like ASIO4ALL?

It looks like it would be pretty good but what do you mean about the conversion not being great? Would this affect the guitar sound?

never used the Alesis cable, but I love my IKMultimedia StealthPlug for remote tracking - I won it in a contest and have used it quite frequently on trips - I bring my laptop, my guitar, and my StealthPlug (a pair of headphones (Window's issue/ASIO limitation)) and away I go. I like it for what it is - it was free for me - it's easier than dragging my Edirol M16DX around.

01.jpg

They are similar (except price) - here are their specs:

Alesis GuitarLink cable ($29.00 cable alone, no software):

* Connect guitars, basses, or line-level audio source to USB for recording
* 16-bit, 44.1 kHz digital audio output
* Internal analog-to-digital conversion system
* Plug-and-play connection for Mac and PC
* 16.5-foot length (5m)
* Compatible with most Mac and Windows (32-bit) class-compliant drivers and software

Note - no ASIO drivers, you have to use ASIO4ALL if you want to go that route.

IK StealthPlug ($99.00):

• Compact 1/4" jack to USB audio interface cable
• High-quality direct Guitar/Bass IN
• Headphone/Amp/Powered Speaker OUT
• Low-latency ASIO and CoreAudio drivers
• Includes AmpliTube 2 Live plug-in and standalone
• Includes AmpliTube X-GEAR plug-in and standalone
• Includes Mackie's Tracktion 2, SampleTank 2 SE, T-RackS EQ
• Includes 500MB of loops from Sonic Reality

Both will get your tracks down - both are 16 bit with the Alesis being only 44.1Khz while the StealthPlug is 44.1Khz or 48Khz. I got my StealthPlug for free, but I was thinking about getting one to keep with my laptop anyway, this was before the Alesis item came out, but I like the StealthPlug and I like having ASIO drivers.