Alesis Monitor 1 Active 520 Monitors

haven't used the 520's, but i own the 620's

they're pretty decent, but a bit scooped sounding with the EQ switches set flat...turn down the bass and highs, and boost the mids, and they're a lot closer to flat. you'd probably have a tough time finding something better for less $$.

I have a hard time feeling like they'd be much good for that price - you'd be way better off spending the extra hundred for the M1 MKII's or the M-Audio BX5a's (lots of people here love their BX8a's, and it's the same basic design with a smaller cone)

I just bought a set of M1 MkII's and should be getting them today. I had debated on the 520's/620's, but the M1 MkII's were only 300 bucks at AMS and Sweetwater (50% off MSRP). I don't know if that means they will be discontinued shortly, but the specs make them seem better than both the 520's and 620's. I bought them purely for mobile tracking apps, where active monitors make more sense than taking my passive amp/speaker setup.

In casual listening tests at GC, the Alesis 520/620 both seem to have a little stronger high end than a lot of the other monitors there (KRK, Yammy's, Events), so I'd also 2nd the "not flat" idea. For my ears I think that could be a good thing, but I think the M1MkII's will be better overall. I can't wait to try them out.

I'm only looking at something small and cheap for the time being, just to get going, i'll get something a little more 'pro' later on in the year, i'm thinking about these as an alternative too...

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/72230

I've felt disappointed when I bought things just to get started in the past, such as a crappy set of drum mics or a behringer 8 track mixer. You'll be spending more in the end to get better gear later than if you just save up and get what you really want soon.