Alesis usb drum kit

they help to keep your chops up, but its like playing geetar with mass amounts of gain, youll always sound semi good even if ur shite. mine deffo works for keeping up my double kick and wrist technique. and yeah, laying down thos fills you just cant be arsed to write out in midi if they involve random hits etc etc!

...the heads are pretty hard though, and its a lot louder than having mesh heads.
Go to your local Art Supplies store & get some foam sheets – the stuff with the sticky backing.
They come in packs and probably singles – 8.5” x 11”, about 1/16” thick.
I’ve used them in the past & they didn’t affect the triggering.
It will make it a little bit quieter and not as “bouncy” on hard non-mesh heads.

Something like this, but with peel-n-stick backing: http://www.michaels.com/art/online/search?type=0&searchWords=foam+sheets&pageNumber=1

they help to keep your chops up, but its like playing geetar with mass amounts of gain, youll always sound semi good even if ur shite. mine deffo works for keeping up my double kick and wrist technique. and yeah, laying down thos fills you just cant be arsed to write out in midi if they involve random hits etc etc!

Its the opposite if you don't trigger the kit and just use the pads. Use the plastic side of the kick beater also, (nice click) so if thinking of it like a guitar its more like your not even plugged into a amp, every blemish will be heard in your playing.

If your get your chops up just plain hitting the pads its much easier on a real kit what with its feel and volume difference.