Alex Webster - Extreme Metal Bass, anybody read it?

bassguy

Aug 28, 2011
Melbourne
Just stumbled upon this, curious if anyone here has it/has read it?
If you have what do you think?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Metal-Bass-Book-CD/dp/1423497155[/ame]

It's pretty cheap and I'll probably just buy it anyway, but it's always nice to hear what the trusty sneapsters think of these things :lol:

Yes, I bought it and can absolutely recommend it. Actually made two of my friends buy it too when they started to take an interest in learning bass, and got positive reactions from them as well.

Alex is very good at explaining stuff in simple terms, and extremely good at creating interesting exercises. He even wrote several complete instrumental songs just for this book.
The CD contains all exercises and songs with and without bass. Drums are programmed, guitar has been recorded by Ron Jarzombek, and the whole thing sounds pretty good (though he didn't try to hide the fact that he used a drum machine).

For me this book does for bass what "Speed mechanics for lead guitar" did for guitar - making me practice the basics and thus getting my technique more solid. And I keep coming back to it, which I can't say about a lot of other instructional books I bought (speed mechanics being the main exception). It really helps that the book is clearly directed at metal players, and obviously Alex has a knack for writing cool metal riffs - even when it is for exercises.

Hey Horseman, just want to say thanks for mentioning that Speed Mechanic's book. Been meaning to pick something up to help improve my lead playing and based on the Amazon reviews this looks like exactly what I've been looking for!

Any recommendations on something covering music theory? I'm really an absolute beginner when it comes to that and figure I should really get to grips with it while working on my lead stuff.

I've only thumbed through it a little bit, but my bass player (music major who understands theory but never took any bass lessons) got it and loved it. The stuff he's writing is a lot more coherent and focused now

Any recommendations on something covering music theory? I'm really an absolute beginner when it comes to that and figure I should really get to grips with it while working on my lead stuff.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Fretboard-Workbook-Barrett-Tagliarino/dp/0634049011[/ame]
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Workout-Picking-Arpeggios-Guitarist/dp/1423477898[/ame]

These are both great! The first one's more strictly theory-based, but the second one has a lot of really good exercises that helped me out of a plateau that I reached with my lead playing

Yes, I bought it and can absolutely recommend it. Actually made two of my friends buy it too when they started to take an interest in learning bass, and got positive reactions from them as well.

Alex is very good at explaining stuff in simple terms, and extremely good at creating interesting exercises. He even wrote several complete instrumental songs just for this book.
The CD contains all exercises and songs with and without bass. Drums are programmed, guitar has been recorded by Ron Jarzombek, and the whole thing sounds pretty good (though he didn't try to hide the fact that he used a drum machine).

For me this book does for bass what "Speed mechanics for lead guitar" did for guitar - making me practice the basics and thus getting my technique more solid. And I keep coming back to it, which I can't say about a lot of other instructional books I bought (speed mechanics being the main exception). It really helps that the book is clearly directed at metal players, and obviously Alex has a knack for writing cool metal riffs - even when it is for exercises.

Thanks for all that man. I've been playing for a few years but I feel like I've hit a bit of brick wall with my playing, I haven't really got any "better" for a while, so something like this could put me back on the right track and get me writing and playing better stuff