Alexi Voice Distortion

KenShiRo said:
can they just stick a mic through some kind of pedal for live gigs?

yeah, that's what i was thinking. but i've heard a lot of bootlegs and alexi doesn't/cant? sing as he does on the cds

i guess it would be kind hard,you know, playing guitar and singing.

Fuck man, sooooooooooo many bands use effects on recordings. Reverb, layering, filters, distortion.....thats all part of production! They dont recreate any of those sounds live! They can't! But it doesn't take away from the song at all. Live is something completely different from CD. Alexi uses distortion on some parts, but just to accentuate some parts. Honestly, when you see COB live, you're thinking"I'm fucking seeing bodom live! Lets kick some fucking ass!", not "Is this exactly how the CD sounds?"

I didnt mean voice distortion. I meant like dropping a pitch of the voice becuase I didn't think he could hit the low notes while he sung but I guess he can. It just sounded like two people singing or something but I had to listen to the part more. So a big Nevermind for this topic.

personnaly, if you cant do it live, dont do it on the album.
I remebr seeing some shitty Band in toronto open for Sonata Arctica called Reckon with One, and he used Vocal Distortion to make a growling. That shit pissis me off, if you cant growl then dont, or hire a fucking singer to do it. (the second band of the night was wicked and needs to play more shows in Hamilton...wink wink)

HOWEVER, shit like Black Label Society's Fire it Up, where the voice is though some effects sounds like a guitar and its kinda cool.

I dont like it myself. I personnaly think you are born with music ability, you either can or cant do it, and using fucking electronics to fake a voice is just as bad as altering voices for those pop singers and having them lip sync on stage.

Fuck man, sooooooooooo many bands use effects on recordings. Reverb, layering, filters, distortion.....thats all part of production! They dont recreate any of those sounds live! They can't! But it doesn't take away from the song at all. Live is something completely different from CD. Alexi uses distortion on some parts, but just to accentuate some parts. Honestly, when you see COB live, you're thinking"I'm fucking seeing bodom live! Lets kick some fucking ass!", not "Is this exactly how the CD sounds?"

agreed.

during their just-completed European tour, they used an effect on Alexi's vocals during Blooddrunk, as recently reported on SOB:

"For this tour the band made some improvements to Blooddrunk to make it sound more like the album version of the song. They're now using the "They say drinking is a way to die / But at the end... Dying is a way to drink" sample ...
In addition to the sample, an effect on Alexi's vocals was used on some parts of the song to imitate the creepyness of the vocals on the album version. However it can be argued if this experiment was successful, as the effect sounded too strong and it could be easily mistaken as if there was just something wrong with the microphone."

This man is correct,

They didn't use distortion to make Alexi's scream BETTER, its just on certain lines to make it sound more interesting, like he said just a production effect.
Millions of bands in all styles use little production effects and little nuances on album (bass bombs, slowing down the audio like turning off a record player, reverse cymbal hits) just to name a few.

^ if the production of a song was as "pure" as some people want, it'd sound amateur and recorded in a garage or something :lol: It's a normal process to use effects and stuff, i agree.

during their just-completed European tour, they used an effect on Alexi's vocals during Blooddrunk, as recently reported on SOB:

"For this tour the band made some improvements to Blooddrunk to make it sound more like the album version of the song. They're now using the "They say drinking is a way to die / But at the end... Dying is a way to drink" sample ...
In addition to the sample, an effect on Alexi's vocals was used on some parts of the song to imitate the creepyness of the vocals on the album version. However it can be argued if this experiment was successful, as the effect sounded too strong and it could be easily mistaken as if there was just something wrong with the microphone."

That's actually really cool, regarding the sample.

did noone notice the fucking DATE? this thread is over 2 years old

Well said ! :headbang: He doesnt even use pedals on his guitars, live.

For the European tour that they have just done with Cannibal Corpse, Alexi did have effects on his vocals. He had a tiny amount of reverb and a shit load of echo so when he done his growls etc. they would echo on. But he definately doesnt use any distortion on his voice.

For the European tour that they have just done with Cannibal Corpse, Alexi did have effects on his vocals. He had a tiny amount of reverb and a shit load of echo so when he done his growls etc. they would echo on. But he definately doesnt use any distortion on his voice.

Honestly, pretty much EVERYONE (professional, anyway) has reverb put on their vocals live, to flesh them out. They're often usually EQ'ed nice and full, too. Their vocals get balanced out, to sound much better. Some just do it less, but it's still pretty much the norm.

Yeah I understand basically everything has reverb on it. But the echo was in the "norm" unless Alexi being in a cave is the "norm".... it sounded badass anyway..

HOWEVER, shit like Black Label Society's Fire it Up, where the voice is though some effects sounds like a guitar and its kinda cool.

I know your post is a couple of years old but it's a talk box. A few guitarists use it such as David Gilmour, Slash, Peter Frampton, etc. Stevie Wonder uses one as well.

:loco: