Why use onboard gain booster instead of a distortion pedal?

The boosters mainly just boost the signal, although i believe there is some kind of small EQ on the MM-04 and JE-1000. But it leaves the sound mainly uncoloured, whereas a distortion pedal distorts the signal and the EQ on it is much stronger. Some people prefer the sound of a boosted guitar going into an amps distortion to the sound of a pedal doing the work, although its not too different from using an overdrive pedal or a clean boost to overdrive the amps input.

Why eat can food when you can have turkey?

Nah but rly...He wanted a Ganbooster to get his pickups more high output. Now he has Almost as high output on his SDs so i guess he doesnt need one anymore.

^^Sure but you do know they are PRETTY similar but i dont think he likes the EMG 81 becoz it maybe doenst have as high output as hz+mm04? I have a EMG 81 and its pretty kickass and does sound a bit laihoish on right amp/ampsettings.And on a further note...he has switched to Seymour duncan Active pups so...

Let's see what Pope SOB Says
He uses active gainboosts in every guitar due to the fact the GP-1000 doesn't give out too much distortion. This is the reason that he uses passive pickups as well. They have a better sound when used with the gainboost, and using active pickups would resault in too much feedback.