The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

<-Warheart->

† Fuck You Very Much †
Dec 24, 2005
England
Any questions regarding anything related to Alexi, Roope, Janne, Henkka & Jaska's gear to be asked and discussed here.

A detailed look at all Alexi Laiho related guitars can be found HERE
A detailed look at all Roope Latvala's guitars can be found HERE.

Guitars & Amps Used On COB/Sinergy Albums:

Children Of Bodom - Something Wild (1997):

Alexi Laiho - Guitars (all tuned to C# standard):
• Ibanez RG 220B
• Custom Shop Jackson "Stone" RR (J-50BC pickup & JE-1000 gainboost)

Alexi Laiho - Amps:
• Peavey MKI 5150 head

Children Of Bodom - Hatebreeder (1999):

Alexi Laiho - Guitars (tuned to D standard):

Alexi Laiho - Amps:
• Lee Jackson Perfect Connection GP-1000 Pre-amp
• Rocktron Velocity 300 Power amp

Children Of Bodom - Tokyo Warhearts (1999):

Alexi Laiho - Amps:
• Lee Jackson Perfect Connection GP-1000 Preamp
• Lee Jackson SP-1000 Power amp

Sinergy - Beware The Heavens (1999):

Alexi Laiho - Guitars (tuned to C# standard):
• Custom Shop Jackson "WildChild" RR

Alexi Laiho - Amps:
• ENGL Savage head

Sinergy - To Hell And Back (2000):

• Custom Shop Jackson RR (J-50BC pickup & JE-1000 gainboost)

Alexi Laiho & Roope Latvala - Amps:
• Rocktron Intellifex Effects Unit
• Engl E840/50 Power amp
• Marshall JCM 800 4x12 cabinets (with Celestion speakers)

Roope Latvala - Guitars:
• Custom Shop Jackson "Iommi Cross" RR (J-50BC & J-200 pickups & JE-1000 gainboost)
• Custom Shop Jackson "White" RR (J-50BC & JE-1000 gainboost)
• Custom Shop Jackson "Yellow Bevels" RR (J-50BC & J-100 pickups & JE-1000 gainboost)

Children Of Bodom - Follow The Reaper (2001):

• Custom Shop Jackson "WildChild" RR (J-50BC pickup & JE-1000 gainboost)

Alexi Laiho - Amps:
• Engl E840/50 Power amp

Sinergy - Suicide By My Side (2002):

• Custom Shop Jackson "WildChild" RR (J-50BC pickup & JE-1000 gainboost)

Alexi Laiho & Roope Latvala - Amps:
• Engl E840/50 Power amp

Roope Latvala - Guitars:
• Custom Shop Jackson "Iommi Cross" RR (J-50BC & J-200 pickups & JE-1000 gainboost)
• Custom Shop Jackson "White" RR (J-50BC & JE-1000 gainboost)
• Custom Shop Jackson "Yellow Bevels" RR (J-50BC & J-100 pickups & JE-1000 gainboost)

Children Of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll (2003):

Alexi Laiho - Guitars (tuned to D standard & Drop C)
•

Alexi Laiho - Amps:
• Peavey 5150 (slaved to power section)

Children Of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet? (2005):

Alexi Laiho - Guitars (tuned to Drop C):
• Custom Shop ESP RV (EMG HZ4 pickups & EMG MM-04 gainboost)

Alexi Laiho - Amps:
• VHT 2:90:2 Poweramp

Children Of Bodom - Blooddrunk (2008):

Alexi Laiho - Guitars (tuned to D standard & Drop C)
• Custom Shop ESP RV (Seymour Duncan Blackout pickups)

Alexi Laiho - Amps:
• Marshall JCM 800 KK head

Other Appearances:

Children Of Bodom - Live in Seoul 2001:

• Custom Shop Jackson "Stone" RR

Alexi Laiho - Amps:
• Lee Jackson SP-1000 Power amp

Children Of Bodom - Live @ Tuska 2003:

Alexi Laiho - Guitars:
• Custom Shop ESP RV (tuned to D standard)
• Custom Shop Jackson "Green Pinstripe" RR (tuned to Drop C)

Alexi Laiho - Amps:
• Peavey Classic 50/50

Children Of Bodom - Chaos Ridden Years 2006:

Alexi Laiho - Guitars (tuned to D standard & Drop C):
• Custom Shop ESP "Scythe" RV
• Custom Shop ESP "Saw Tooth" RV

Alexi Laiho - Amps:
• VHT 2:90:2 Power amp

Roope Latvala - Guitars:
• Custom Shop ESP Star (tuned to D standard)
• Custom Shop ESP Star (tuned to Drop C)

Alexi Laiho's GP-1000 Preamp Settings

• Volume - Full
• Distortion - Full & pulled
• Treble - Full
• Mid - Full
• Mid shift - 3
• Bass - 9 O'Clock
• Output 2 is used (more bass), and is set to 11 O'Clock.

hey warheart what would be good pedals to mimic the cob sound ??

632866104495738090.jpg

hey warheart what would be good pedals to mimic the cob sound ??

I hope this isn't a joke post because of a new thread.

If not, then forget about pedals for now. Try turning down the gain on your amp and boosting the mids a bit more. You could always try an EQ pedal to boost the mids in a more specific way because any kind of distortion/overdrive pedal isn't really going to colour your sound like the GP-1000 & JE-1000 did.

^Agree with mitch! I bought a EQ pedal and it suprised me (im not after a ALEK C sound) with the versatility...it can get you pretty darn close ANY sound...including alexi's.

:lol:! I agree partly on that sigh but i think when we wanted a thread like this let's treat as such too! He atleast asked in the right thread :zombie:

lol i do apologise ^^..So an EQ PEDAL you do say so no need for a OD pedal sweet then with the head set up that way cool thanks guys..im just lookin for partly alexi's sound cause its so clear well maybe there are better sounds but this crap box of a LANEY PRACTICE AMP KILLS..so im gettin a new set thats why..dont flame on me or hate me asking these gay questions lol i just want to make sure i made the right choice with the money im investing in it :):)
a little OT ...
YAY I GOT THE FIRST POST AFTER THE FIRST ON A STICKIED COB THREAD I FEEL SPECIAL XDXD jokin

lol i do apologise ^^..So an EQ PEDAL you do say so no need for a OD pedal sweet then with the head set up that way cool thanks guys..im just lookin for partly alexi's sound cause its so clear well maybe there are better sounds but this crap box of a LANEY PRACTICE AMP KILLS..so im gettin a new set thats why..dont flame on me or hate me asking these gay questions lol i just want to make sure i made the right choice with the money im investing in it :):)
a little OT ...
YAY I GOT THE FIRST POST AFTER THE FIRST ON A STICKIED COB THREAD I FEEL SPECIAL XDXD jokin

Well...a good amp is the MOST important thing...if you have a crap amp nothing will help :lol:

Agreed. I suggest to try a Bugera, the are really cheap but really efective copies of Peavey's tube heads. I'm getting one this summer if I can't afford Allu's pink Edwards, :lol:

Now, COB-gear thing: does the HZ 4 sound as gay as in the Rebel Yell jam at the end of Reap n Roll vid when not boosted/loaded with shitload of dist?

I posted it in the GP thread too, but I remembered about this thread (sorry, still too new and not memorised, :lol:) and I'll put it here too:

WTF?? Wasn't MM04 sposed to be a passive p-ups booster? Then what are ESP playing at?

Alexi Laiho Pink Sawtooth BLACKOUT + MM04

Any questions regarding anything related to Alexi, Roope, Janne, Henkka & Jaska's gear to be asked and discussed here.

I could do something similar to the Tab Thread, where I write down as much info as possible about the gear used on each album so people know what they're hearing as they've progressed over the years. If it's a silly idea, I'll delete this paragraph.

I don't think it is a bad idea. We're on th On Topìc section, there's where this things should be and IMO it's good to have it there, it could avoid many ''too many times heard'' questions. Would you like help to do it?

a little OT ...

Well after reading a few things recently, it's pretty clear that an EQ pedal that'd colour your tone by adding mids ASWELL as boosting the gain will help more than just a gain boost switch, which does exactly the same as the gain knob on the amp head/preamp. The gainboost on my RR doesn't make my tone sound anymore like Alexi's, but reducing gain and adding mids does.

Get it?

I posted it in the GP thread too, but I remembered about this thread (sorry, still too new and not memorised, :lol:) and I'll put it here too:

WTF?? Wasn't MM04 sposed to be a passive p-ups booster? Then what are ESP playing at?

Alexi Laiho Pink Sawtooth BLACKOUT + MM04

Another reason to forget about getting a ESP CS w/booster. I would never get it still but that just makes it all the more ridicolous :lol: It kind of eliminates the purpose of that booster how alexi used it...meaning to make his passives active :lol: Rather just get the normal ESP without any fuckin boosters...still Edwards FTW! and SH-5 into one of those is pretty :cool:

Maybe you could list the equipment used on the different CDs for people interested in getting a tone on a certain album. Sort of like:

SOMETHING WILD
Amp:
Guitar:
Other:

HATEBREEDER
Amp:
Guitar:
Other:

And so on. Just an idea.

Maybe you could list the equipment used on the different CDs for people interested in getting a tone on a certain album. Sort of like:

SOMETHING WILD
Amp:
Guitar:
Other:

HATEBREEDER
Amp:
Guitar:
Other:

And so on. Just an idea.

Wow, read the first post!

"I could do something similar to the Tab Thread, where I write down as much info as possible about the gear used on each album so people know what they're hearing as they've progressed over the years."

If people want to throw some FACTS at me, then I will combine them of my exsisting knowledge and try my best to provide an accurate lst.

Alright guys, I've made a start on the first post GEAR LIST for Alexi.

I don't know if I'll have enough info about Roope/Ale to add it all in but if anyone wants to give me exact details, then I'll add it.

There's a few things regarding Alexi's exact guitars, poweramps on some of the albums, so again, if anyone can help out, I'll update it all ASAP.

Any other info that you think should be in there, let me know.