The Children Of Bodom Gear Thread

I don't have anymore details. I just thought he had it modified. Maybe I'm thinking of Paul Gilbert and his ADA MP-1.

About the "Modified" Gp-1000 all I know is that there are two versions.. one is the modded Marshall version and the other the modded Fender deluxe version. I guess Alexi used the Marshall modded version.

About the "Modified" Gp-1000 all I know is that there are two versions.. one is the modded Marshall version and the other the modded Fender deluxe version. I guess Alexi used the Marshall modded version.

Yeah. The Fender version is also known as the '87 version and the Marshall version is also known as the '88 version.

Arcane, thanks for the GP-1000 settings, they're in the first post.

The 87 and 88 are FAR more similar than most people seem to say.

I'll try to record some comparison clips some time.

What I always wanted to know does Roope have 2 of his Esp Star guitars in black? As seen in CRY he only has his black ESP star shape guitar. Does he change the guitar for the songs in dropped C/D Standard(what I didn't see in the vid) or does he stay with one guitar in dropped C? The second alternative seems to be very weird...
Roope has 2 black ESP Random Stars,If you look closely they have different hardware colors.

Chrome Hardware Star=Drop C
Gold Hardware Star=D Standard.

:)

So there's not that much gain difference then?

Not that I can tell. My setup has been a little weird lately (should rewire and organize sometime), so an A/B test is kind of out of the question at this point.

I have heard about a "transitional" model between 87 and 88 that closely resembles the circuit of the 88. Maybe that's what my 87 is and might explain why they sound so similar.

I'd crack 'em open to visually see if they're different at all, but holy shit - that would require un-racking the damn things and unscrewing 12 screws...not to mention putting all that stuff back together. I'm a busy (lazy) man.

Ok. Lets see if I can remember everything for his old settings....

Alexi Laiho equipment:
Rack:
Lee Jackson Perfect Connection GP-1000 preamp.
Rocktron Intellifex
MANY POWERAMPS!! (The main power amp used pre-AYDY was a Peavey Classic 50/50. Later was a VHT 50/50)

Guitar strings are DR Highbeams. 11-50 guage.
Picks used are Dunlop Jazz III
Cigarrettes smoked are Lucky Strike Full Flavor filtered.

Rack settings.
On the GP-1000 it is:
Volume full
Distortion Full and pulled.
Trebel full
Mid Full
Mid shift = 3
Bass = 9 o'clock
Output 2 is used (more bass), and is set to 11 o'clock (nobs go to 20 =)

I asked Alexi about his amp settings on his GP-1000. He said he likes to Max everything to get the fullest distortion (if you've ever used the GP-1000, you'd know what he's talking about lol). However, the settings really don't matter other than distortion, volume, and midshift.

The settings on the Peavey 50/50 elude me. However, judging by his tone, Resonance would be set at 6 and presence 4 (if you've heard it live).

He sets the volume on his GP-1000 at 11 o'clock to get a very saturated power stage sound. It works EXTREMELY effectively. The GP-1000 is VERY Hot.

The Cabs used by Alexi in recording are 1970a lead cabinets (aka JCM-800 cabs). However, live, they grab what ever cabs they can get, since it's too expensive (and nearly impossible) to transport them overseas.

Alexi uses a wah in his signal chain as well. All other effects come from his intellifex. The only effect he really uses is the chorus. His noise reduction is also from the Intellifex (HUSH). Roope uses a standalone Hush unit in his rack.

You mean I can play like Alexi if I chain smoke Lucky Strikes?

nothing. he used one for ETID recording but thats all I know...oh and chokehold.

ok..and for some solos in SInergy

but he never used one live
And do not forget, Blooddrunk (lots of).

And he used a whammy live:
fmeqb5.jpg

Only question, Which model and brand?

is this from CRY? hmm... if yes, he has one but didn't use it... and who gives a fuck about a wah pedal? they all make nearly the same effect, or?

simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

...j/k. Well it does matter! To this thread and thousands of fanbois aswell :lol:
He has used it on recordings and also live somewhere(if i recall right...)

is this from CRY? hmm... if yes, he has one but didn't use it... and who gives a fuck about a wah pedal? they all make nearly the same effect, or?
Nope, i believe its from the FME 2006.

Actually i dont care which whammy pedal it is, but i'm making a huge post about alexi's gear. And i want it to be precise.

The wah looks like a Dunlop 535QC.
I actually dont have a clue which wah it is, because the input is in the front, and not on the (regular) side.

Not that I can tell. My setup has been a little weird lately (should rewire and organize sometime), so an A/B test is kind of out of the question at this point.

I have heard about a "transitional" model between 87 and 88 that closely resembles the circuit of the 88. Maybe that's what my 87 is and might explain why they sound so similar.

I'd crack 'em open to visually see if they're different at all, but holy shit - that would require un-racking the damn things and unscrewing 12 screws...not to mention putting all that stuff back together. I'm a busy (lazy) man.

Yea Im pretty sure mine is an 87 and it sounds nothing like a fender haha