Are any of you still using the MM-04/JE-1000 preamp gain booster on your guitar?

Sorry to ask such a noob question, but can someone run me through all the different parts to Alexi's setup? Or just setups in general? Specifically explaining what each part is and how it affects your sound/tone?

For example...what is a power amp? What is a pre-amp? I thought all there is to it is guitar, pedal, amp. Lol I know nothing about this kind of stuff.

Sorry to ask such a noob question, but can someone run me through all the different parts to Alexi's setup? Or just setups in general? Specifically explaining what each part is and how it affects your sound/tone?

For example...what is a power amp? What is a pre-amp? I thought all there is to it is guitar, pedal, amp. Lol I know nothing about this kind of stuff.

Im gonna make it simple. He doesnt use pedals. His effects come from his rack. Distortion comes from preamp(the lee jackson GP-1000) and then the Preamp is connected to poweramp that is the "amplifying" part of the rack. This is how its...preamp+poweramp=Guitar head which u later conenct to a cab. Poweramp just gives the sound and thats where the power tubes are located if it isnt solid state and preamp(this is where the preamp tubes are located if it isnt a solid state preamp) gives you dist and EQ. His rack consists mainly of a Lee jackson gp1000,VHT poweramp,Rocktron intellifex FX processor,VHT PSA 1(correct me if im wrong but those are the most important parts of it i guess)

Im gonna make it simple. He doesnt use pedals. His effects come from his rack. Distortion comes from preamp(the lee jackson GP-1000) and then the Preamp is connected to poweramp that is the "amplifying" part of the rack. This is how its...preamp+poweramp=Guitar head which u later conenct to a cab. Poweramp just gives the sound and thats where the power tubes are located if it isnt solid state and preamp gives you dist and EQ. His rack consists mainly of a Lee jackson gp1000,VHT poweramp,Rocktron intellifex FX processor,VHT PSA 1(correct me if im wrong but those are the most important parts of it i guess)

well said dude !:kickass:

I bought a set of Blackouts at the Music Live show at Birmingham yesterday, they were really easy to install and they kick the living shit out of EMG 81s. I'd recommend them to pretty much anyone.

Has anyone here tried using the MM-04 and active pickups together? I'm interested to know what sort of result you got. Or if someone has an opinion (I'm sure you all have lol) on what sort of result you might get. Say with EMG or SD Blackout??? :zombie:

To be honest i'd rather just use my Ibanez tubescreamer.
I took mine out when i switched my emg H4 for a Seymour Duncan distortion SH-6 pickups on my edwards arrowhead and now its just a coil tap switch.

EDIT: This is an old thread.

Has anyone here tried using the MM-04 and active pickups together? I'm interested to know what sort of result you got. Or if someone has an opinion (I'm sure you all have lol) on what sort of result you might get. Say with EMG or SD Blackout??? :zombie:

Yes. I have a blackout and an MM-04 in my guitar and it sounds great.

To be honest - you don't need a gainboost when you have a blackout and - I don't know where you want to play - when you just play at home with a mini amp. You need at least 100w tube cabs to become a good sound out of both

To be honest - you don't need a gainboost when you have a blackout and - I don't know where you want to play - when you just play at home with a mini amp. You need at least 100w tube cabs to become a good sound out of both

Well while that may be true sometimes just having something you want is FAR more important than it's practicality or usefulness. :kickass:

i am currently using the MM-04 with a blackout. the thing is that the battery runs straight in to the circuitry on the back end of the MM-04 pot.. i was wondering if im lacking the "active sound" because of this or if they have it figured out so it also powers the pickup as well.. by the way im playing a stock edwards blacky.