Are any of you still using the MM-04/JE-1000 preamp gain booster on your guitar?

eveningninja

Skull Kid
Oct 12, 2007
Clock Town Behavior: Pretty good -Syuri
I ask because I want to know if I can get the same results from merely buying a decent distortion pedal such as the Electroharmonix Metal Muff.

Or do you guys stack your onboard gain boosters with a pedal also? I'm just not really sure what the best pre-amp setup is.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Buy active pickups...screw the gainbooster. I had once a EMG afterburner(PA-2 but with push and pull poti) I regretted it!!!

Yes, buy a Active humbucker, go for the AHB Blackout.

Everybody must go active because alexi does!
MM04 and the JE-1000 Gainbooster are sucky because alexi doesnt use them anymore!

MM04 and the JE-1000 Gainbooster are sucky because alexi doesnt use them anymore!

You are being sarcastic right? I god damn hope so :lol:

^^Yeah i hope so too:lol:...damn everyone should find their own fucking sound. Gainbooster sucks IMO. Actives are better IMO...EMG 81 FTW...dunno bout blackout...if they are like 81 with more brutalz tone and less noise i will be getting one.

^^No way active EMGs are cool...EMG 81 gives me a good tone but i dont like the noise and its A BIT sterile..i wonder if the Blackout would be more "alive" and "warm"

When im getting a RR24, the first thing that is going out is that EMG 81.

But ontopic:
I dont think you will get the same effect when using a distortion pedal.

When im getting a RR24, the first thing that is going out is that EMG 81.

But ontopic:
I dont think you will get the same effect when using a distortion pedal.

No but a active pup will get him better results anyway than a hz and mm-04. Yeah well im not gonna chuck otu the EMG 81 yet atleast...i was thinking of getting a gutiar with passive pup like Edwards E-AL-128 saw tooth and chucking out the passive and getting a seymour duncan blackout on it and if its great ill put one on RR24 too.

I'm getting an Edwards Scythe w/ HZ-4 and MM-04 this Christmas,or at least that was what I was thinking.it's like since Alexi switched to active pups everybody hates gainboosters+passive,why?I mean,Alexi's sound is better now,I admit it,but on Tuska 2003 he had also a crushing tone and sound,and was just with an EMG HZ-4,he even didn't had the gainbooster by then,he kept switching sounds from the pedalboard.I'll need to give it a rest and think about it,but with all that criticism towards the gainboosters I'm starting to think that I'd better buy the version without gainbooster and put in an 81 or a blackout or an 85.anyone who has tried them or an edwards w/gb and HZ-4?

I love the way everyone's like OMG SEYMORE DUNCAN BLACKOUTS FUCKIN' RAWK D00D, I CAN BE LIKE ALEXI NOW just because he's using them. It's totally overtaken the Jackson and ESP craze and he hasn't even had them long.

"find your own sound".

Oh the irony.

"Find your own sound"

Yes Mitch, that is important. But not everyone seem to want to do that, some people are happy with getting their guitar to sound like alexis, cream themselves, and thats it. I strive to find my own sound though, and im nowhere near what i want with the stock pickups on my LTD and the Crate amp..

My ideal sound would be, hmm.. Remember the "Live in Ilosaarirock" and Tokyo Warhearts.. Something like that, just i'll modify it, might take a bit more treble or low..
Sadly its gonna mean a lot of searching and money to find it, but im not rushing..

My next buy is the ESP SV standard. I'm buying it over a jackson, because of how it plays, it fits my style more with the XJ frets.. And also the eh, satin neck, is very fucking smooth and nice.. I love it! Thing is it has EMG 81's
I'm thinking of keeping them with the Crate, but whenever i get my hands on a better rig, i'll most likely change to some passive pickups.. J-50BC(lol) or some duncans. I want a different pickup for the neck. Since i'll be using it for Clean playing exclusivly, i'll have to test pickups.. Depending on what rig i find, a gainbooster will be involved, but we'll see how i pull that off..

If i involve a gainbooster, im gonna check out of i can do a trick with it, so the gainboostswitch is eh, splitted, so i can use it so when i switch to both pickups, the gainboost goes off (clean playing), and when i switch to bridge pickup, gainboost goes on.. I wonder if thats even possible

I love the way everyone's like OMG SEYMORE DUNCAN BLACKOUTS FUCKIN' RAWK D00D, I CAN BE LIKE ALEXI NOW just because he's using them. It's totally overtaken the Jackson and ESP craze and he hasn't even had them long.

"find your own sound".

Oh the irony.

There aint much choice for one that likes EMG 81 but thinks it has flaws. For now on ill be using it but if blackouts are improved from emg 81 then ill surely buy it but quit the freaking fanboying. Afterburner and PA-2 is IMO fuckin noisy and it sucked on my mmv badly. I hope the Seymour duncan blackout rawks tho :lol: BUT i dont rly like alexis emg hz+mm04 sound.

When I said "find your own sound", I was actually "quoting" someone else who said that. Notice I put "oh the irony" after that comment, meaning the people that say that are the ones that go and buy SD pickups as soon as they read that Alexi's using them.

Like you, I just want Alexi's tone from TW too. Hence why I have a J50-BC, a 24fret jackson RR with yellow pinstripes and I'm waiting for a JE-1000. ;)

There aint much choice for one that likes EMG 81 but thinks it has flaws. For now on ill be using it but if blackouts are improved from emg 81 then ill surely buy it but quit the freaking fanboying. Afterburner and PA-2 is IMO fuckin noisy and it sucked on my mmv badly. I hope the Seymour duncan blackout rawks tho :lol: BUT i dont rly like alexis emg hz+mm04 sound.

The gainboost is noisy, yeah, but that's what noisegates are for. ;)

And I'm not fond of his ESP sound either but that's what came in the guitar.

^^Sorry...what a coincidence :lol: Yeah that tone rawked balls! I just hate pa-2 tho:erk: or maybe it was just bad wiring? I hope his seymours will give him a more consistent tone.

well dude alexi like the J-50BC and the JE-1000 the most of all !

so what you say doesnt make sence by doesnt use them anymore

BECAUSE SOME D*ckHEAD stole his jacksons with the J-50BC and JE-1000 in them