Alice In Chains

Drain you was the best on nevermind i think.

I just think that nirvana were a bit one dimensional compared to AIC. Its the amalgamation of Stanley's vocals and Cantrells work on the guitar (far more interesting than cobains btw) and backing vox.

I think a lot of people forget just how much Cantrell brought to their music with his vocals, i honestly believe that they would have been also-rans without his supportive vocal role.

i havent listened to any mudhoney but sonc youth is among my faves. a very inspirational, phenomenal band. "evol" is one of the darkest, fucked-up shit i have ever heard in my life...a much darker record than many metal albums most people tag as "dark"...

mudhoney were ok, but forgetable

I love AIC and Nirvana, but rock radio absolutely killed both of those bands for me by overplaying the hell out of them. Clear Channel stations, even today, still think its the 90s, with grunge and numetal in strong rotation. Thank god for satellite radio and the internet.

Never really could stand anything from the grunge-scene. Don't know exactly why, guess it's just not my kind of thing. Naturally there are exceptions (specific songs) but I don't know which ones right now..........

Yeah, I'm not too keen on Mudhoney. Sonic Youth, however, is cool from what I have heard of them. Judging from the responses, it seems I should check out more haha. It's cool the lead singer is female.

Hey, you know, there are some who think Cobain was a highly influential guitarist. No one can mimic those sounds he created with the guitar. Good stuff, I say. Nothing spectacular, technically, but artistically he had his own, unique style. I respect that. But yeah, AIC had better technicality, for sure. Can't argue that. Their solos, overall, had far more depth I guess.

Originally posted by Kir-ir-Bannog

I just think that nirvana were a bit one dimensional compared to AIC. Its the amalgamation of Stanley's vocals and Cantrells work on the guitar (far more interesting than cobains btw) and backing vox.

I think a lot of people forget just how much Cantrell brought to their music with his vocals, i honestly believe that they would have been also-rans without his supportive vocal role.

Originally posted by Alcapoth

But yeah, AIC had better technicality, for sure. Can't argue that. Their solos, overall, had far more depth I guess.

Excellent point. When I heard Jerry sing on his own, I was surprised by how much it sounded like the AIC vocal sound. Made me realize how big his contribution was. Didn't he have a solo or side project at some point?

Excellent point. When I heard Jerry sing on his own, I was surprised by how much it sounded like the AIC vocal sound. Made me realize how big his contribution was. Didn't he have a solo or side project at some point?

He's had lots of solo albums. The one from a few years ago, Degradation Trip, was actually pretty damn good and very AICy (but along the lines of their darker, sludgier stuff). He toured on that one quite a bit too, I think he was right up until the last year or so when AIC reformed with the new singer.

He's had lots of solo albums. The one from a few years ago, Degradation Trip, was actually pretty damn good and very AICy (but along the lines of their darker, sludgier stuff). He toured on that one quite a bit too, I think he was right up until the last year or so when AIC reformed with the new singer.

He's had 2 solo albums, Boggy Depot and Degradation Trip. Your description of D.T is pretty spot on. Boggy Depot is a lot lighter in places but it's still a top notch album, "My Song" and "Hurt a long time" being the 2 tracks that stand out imo.

I also got to see Alice In Chains during the summer when they were supporting metallica over here. Even though the new singer hasn't got anything on layne it was still an awe inspiring experience for me just to see them up on stage playing keeping layne's memory alive. It was by far the best gig i've been at and it'll always stick with me.

He's had 2 solo albums, Boggy Depot and Degradation Trip.

Oh, I thought he had another one from around the time of Boggy Depot that is a bit more obscure, and I thought there was a Degradation Trip volume 2 that had an entire new disc worth of songs and as such basically counted as a new album. I might be wrong on both counts, though.

AIC are good but Soundgarden are the best from that era imo

To each his own, I guess. I understand your choice, but I've always liked AIC better. Kim Thayil's solos get on my nerves after a while. Superunknown was a hell of an album, though.

Oh, I thought he had another one from around the time of Boggy Depot that is a bit more obscure, and I thought there was a Degradation Trip volume 2 that had an entire new disc worth of songs and as such basically counted as a new album. I might be wrong on both counts, though.

I don't know about any obscure album from around the time of Boggy Depot but you're right about the 2 disc version of D.T. Cantrell originally had a 2 disc long album but the label would only release one discs worth so he had to decide what songs to put out on the one disc. Then given the success of the album the label decided to re-release the album the way Cantrell originallly wanted it to be. I have both versions and the 2 disc one is most excellent!!!:headbang:

Live performance of Dam that river with DuVall on vocals, pretty good, his voice sounds nothing like Layne's but fits the music nicely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQA3ElY4HZ4

He sounds too clean, it sounds like some random nerd with plenty of experience in high school musicals doing karaoke at a party or something. No grit to his voice whatsoever, especially disappointing on the chorus.