Alice In Chains

Anyone see them with the new singer? The replacement is f*ckin dead-on......I mean, I know Staley's dead but when I looked down and just listened the only logical explanation was that he rose from the dead and rejoined the band. Great show.

No way he can create like Staley did though, that guy was one of a kind. One of those bands that was much more than the sum of its parts.

I listened to Dirt the other day, and somewhere towards the end of Would? I realized that Layne Staley was at one time one of the very best rock singers in the business. Absolutely amazing vocal performance on those two tracks imo.

My favorite song by them is probably "Nutshell," and Jar of Flies is their best...the others all have plenty of flashes of brilliance but all contain some absolutely godawful songs (ex Sickman, Junkhead, etc).

I like Sickman...and Junkhead destroys, godly chorus, gr1m sludgy riffs.

Love AIC. One of my all time favorites for sure. (no one has mentioned Sap w/ Ann Wilson of Heart, Chris Cornell and Mark Arm... wonderfully brooding acoustic EP) Good shit all around.

i have the chris cornell / ann wilson tracks on my would? and them bones cd singles

amazing

Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog are both killer as well. I've never been a big fan of Nirvana. Pearl Jam never really floored me either, but they have some solid stuff.

I think it would be a safe bet to say AIC was the best of them all, Dirt being the definitive grunge release of that time.

What's with the anti-Nirvanaism? Don't you guys think stuff like "Drain You" and "Breed" are ridiculously good songs? Cobain was one of the best melody writers ever.

I never hate Nirvana - quite liked a few songs but the only ones who gave me that special feeling were AIC, Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden. Ialso saw Pearl Jam live and I liked some of their stuff but I have to admit that that was more a fangirlish thing:oops:

Of all the so-called grunge bands, AIC were my favorite. Pearl Jam's "Ten" is a fuckin' good debut. Nirvana, were overrated pure and simple. SoundGarden were pretty good. Anyone dig "MudHoney"?

^You didn't mention a lot of classic AIC tracks, but...ok

Haha, really? Well, to each their own, I guess. I mean, there are alot of people who actually don't care much for Nirvana....here...oh,well. They will always be one of my personal fave bands.

Soundgarden is terrific, and yeah...Peral Jam is "ok." The only song I REALLY liked by them was Even Flow. The rest was listenable, for sure, but just not fantastic music to me.

Ahh, STP are awesome as well. Lots of classic tunes.

Mad Season is pretty nice.....some quality songs and nice atmosphere, but not nearly as deep as AIC. Used to be a good go-to album when getting stoned.

STP is a pretty underrated band, their Purple-Tiny Music combo was a damn good run.

A band that I haven't seen mentioned here (since this seems an all out grunge thread) is Blind Melon. I have their debut, and it's great stuff. Very energetic. Shannon was an awesome vocalist, that reminds me a lot of Axel Rose.

Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam are all bands I haven't really heard anything by besides in passing like on the radio and stuff. and most of those songs I'm sick to death of from hearing so much (Even Flow, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Rooster, etc.)

Stone Temple Pilots though, they can be hit-or-miss, but I dig Purple a lot. songs like Interstate Love Song, Vasoline, and Big Empty are very good stuff. I did download their Tiny Music album, but don't know where it went, and don't remember what I thought about it.

amazing band, i never tire of their stuff. i think i prefer jar of flies/SAP era stuff a little more, but facelift and dirt are incredible albums too.

what do people think of jerry cantrell's solo work? boggy depot has some good stuff methinks...degradation trip is somewhat meh.

A band that I haven't seen mentioned here (since this seems an all out grunge thread) is Blind Melon. I have their debut, and it's great stuff. Very energetic. Shannon was an awesome vocalist, that reminds me a lot of Axel Rose.

That's cuz Shannon Hoon (another OD dipshit) sang backup vocals for GNR.

Alice in Chains were a great band.

Mad Season is pretty nice.....some quality songs and nice atmosphere, but not nearly as deep as AIC. Used to be a good go-to album when getting stoned.

Wake Up is one of the most powerful songs that Staley ever recorded in my opinion, especially given the lyrics and the way he would end up dying in the end. Very sad.

Mad Season - Wake Up

Wake up young man, it's time to wake up
Your love affair has got to go
For 10 long years, for 10 long years
The leaves to rake up
Slow suicide's no way to go, oh
Blue, clouded grey
You're not a crack up
Dizzy and weakened by the haze
Moving onward
So an infection not a phase
Yeah, oh