All hype...

Without a doubt it tops T.S.I. but even that had a few good moments...

I've grown to enjoy TSI... its a fun cover album with some good tunes on it.
Overrall this new release is also very good... Axl sounds great but IMO it doesn't come close to UYI or AFD.

One of the interesting things to me is that people say they miss Slash, but I think the Velvet Revolver albums are boring, and average at best. Whereas this, well, it really is a fantastic modern rock album. To my ear there is no wasted space on it. Apparently Axl is the talented one. Ha.

I love Slash at his best and Duff is the reson I became a bass player. They were huge to me when I was younger. However the ones who seemed to always write most material and the best material was Axl and Izzy (both original members in the right sense of the word).

So looking at it with all the facts Im not surprised that it was Axl who made a great record while Velvet Revolver is pretty bland and boring. I have no idea why Izzy never made more noise though. I know he released a solo album (which I havent heard) but other than that I only know he's been a guest musician at some GNR shows the past few years.

Right. I think this will sell a couple million copies but in the end it's gonna be a commercial failure. There's no way they'll recoupe the money invested in this record. Rightly so it's a mixed bag...

i'm sure between the best buy deal, the deal for songs to be in movies and video games, the greatest hits and live album that were released to recoupe money, the sales of the back catalog and the actual sales of the chinese democracy album geffen has already recouped most of their investment. with the live album near platinum and the hits collection over 4 million copies do you think geffen didn't make a lot of money from those albums. not to mention bewteen AFD,LIES, UYI 1&2 the back catalog sells about 1 million units a year

I love Slash at his best and Duff is the reson I became a bass player. They were huge to me when I was younger. However the ones who seemed to always write most material and the best material was Axl and Izzy (both original members in the right sense of the word).

So looking at it with all the facts Im not surprised that it was Axl who made a great record while Velvet Revolver is pretty bland and boring. I have no idea why Izzy never made more noise though. I know he released a solo album (which I havent heard) but other than that I only know he's been a guest musician at some GNR shows the past few years.

izzy has a lot of solo albums.i own 4 diiferent albums (juju hounds, 117 degrees, the river, ride on) and i know he's released at least 3 more as itunes only releases in the last 4 years

117 degrees and izzy and the juju hounds are really good. the other 2 are decent. i really like the 2 slash's snakepit albums and duff's 2 solo albums. duff has done the most stuff on his own.

I love "is 5 o'clock somewhere" with Slashs snakepit. I also like Duff's "believe in me". Wonder why they couldnt do something better than they have with Velvet Revolver. I also think Duff's "loaded" is alot better than most of VR.

I love "is 5 o'clock somewhere" with Slashs snakepit. I also like Duff's "believe in me". Wonder why they couldnt do something better than they have with Velvet Revolver. I also think Duff's "loaded" is alot better than most of VR.

duff's 2nd album "beautiful disease" that was shelved by geffen is great. the entire album can be found on youtube

I agree the two Snakepit albums are fucking great, as are the Duff albums. I think some of the Gilby Clarke stuff if great too...
Make sure to pick up The Outpatience album which features guest appearances by Slash, Duff, Izzy among others....

what did you think of the neurotic outsiders album?

This CD...I dunno it sounds like a mish mash of styles/eras..and not in a good way...some of it sounds current, some of it sounds like it was from the mid 90's... the rest of it ..I'll have to give it more listens...why this took 15 years or whatever is beyond me..it ain't GNR..this is an Axl solo album.

This CD...I dunno it sounds like a mish mash of styles/eras..and not in a good way...some of it sounds current, some of it sounds like it was from the mid 90's... the rest of it ..I'll have to give it more listens...why this took 15 years or whatever is beyond me..it ain't GNR..this is an Axl solo album.

even though this is not true, if axl wrote all of GNR's previous material would you still say its an axl solo album? the band whitesnake has had a different lineup on almost every album and the band megadeth has 7 different recorded lineups and thats about to be 8

Guns N' Roses' ""Chinese Democracy" Lands At No. 3 On Billboard 200 Chart

Guns N' Roses' long-awaited new album, "Chinese Democracy", sold 261,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release (including a reported 25,000 downloads at iTunes on November 23rd not counted towards the opening week) to debut at position No. 3 on The Billboard 200 chart — right behind Taylor Swift's "Fearless" at No. 2 (with 267,400 sold) and Kanye West's "808s & Heartbreak," which opens at No. 1 with sales of 450,000 and change.

The first-week sales of "Chinese Democracy," which was released through an exclusive deal with the Best Buy chain, puts it on par with that of the opening number registered by "Contraband", the 2004 debut from Velvet Revolver, which features in its ranks Rose's former Guns N' Roses bandmates Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum. That CD sold 256,000 copies in the U.S. during its first week of release to debut at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 chart.

According to some reports, Best Buy's promotion of the CD was lacking. Many stores did not feature any special floor displays or banners for the record, and it was not highlighted in advertising circulars.

Singer Axl Rose remains the only original member in the current Guns line-up, having taken some 15 years to complete "Chinese Democracy" with a revolving cast of musicians.

source: blabbermouth.net

yeah best buy basically dropped the ball and axl hasn't done any promotion such as interviews or tv appearances. plus no tour has been announced. the album will probably continue to sell decent numbers for the next few months as more people realise the album is out.

that blabbermouth article is wrong though. it didn't take axl 15 years to make it took 9. 1998-2007 is 9 nine years. it took geffen records about an entire year to get it out after it was finished.

It's now in vogue to hate Axl and GNR, etc. At the end of the day, when you overlook the nonsense & let the music do the talking, you realize that this is a damned good album. Not "great", but not far from it.

I'm actually putting it in the "great" category. I've been spinning it since I got it, almost exclusively. It's entertaining from start to finish. I think you are right about, "the nonsense," though. In time, I think it will be seen in a good light. It's not unlike the Metallica record in that way (and I think it is better than that particular record). The Internet has spawned a whole new way of thinking in people that is more immediate, in a bad way, and people judge music really, really harshly. But 20 years from now nobody is gonna care much about the immediate circumstances of any given release (it took too long, they sold out, what have you). If there had been an Internet when, say, Somewhere in Time Came out, people would have trashed it, I think. Now no one gives it a second thought, and just look at it as one of the overall Maiden releases. People are just to close to it all right now...

It's now in vogue to hate Axl and GNR, etc. At the end of the day, when you overlook the nonsense & let the music do the talking, you realize that this is a damned good album. Not "great", but not far from it.

Good album. It has some flaws, but Axl sounds good, the songs are generally well written, some good guitar solos mixed in. Solid release... it came together pretty nicely.