All-instrumental album?

Mephisto_pheles

New Metal Member
Apr 7, 2003
Poland
Visit site
I know that Ted would probably hate me for these words, but I wonder if the band has ever contemplated on recording an all-instrumental album...

Those few instrumental tracks prove that they're well above needed capable of it... :D

well, I think that would be a horrible idea... maybe the guys could do it under a different project... but not as an Enchant album

Yup, I second that. Ted's voice is why Enchant is my favorite band. Their music is like a delicious peanut butter fudge sundae, but the voice is the cherry at the top. (Its lunchtime, I'm hungry)

I absolutely love every instrumental song Enchant has done, but if there was more than one or two on an album I think I'd start missing Ted's vocals =).

It'd be the only Enchant album I wouldn't buy. Instrumental just isn't my thing. There are lots of prog bands who could stand to give their vocalist a timeout and tell their lyricist to take a break, but with Enchant, I want as many words and as much vocals as possible!

-matt

I think this would be a bad idea. Besides the music, Ted's vocals and His and Doug's lyrics are so exceptionnal and they are kind of Enchant's trademark among other things.

this leads me to a question going to Doug : if someday you have plans for a solo album, would it be all instrumental ?

jjmannford said:
Yup, I second that. Ted's voice is why Enchant is my favorite band. Their music is like a delicious peanut butter fudge sundae, but the voice is the cherry at the top. (Its lunchtime, I'm hungry)

That is great! What an awesome allegory. You know that we will have to
tease Ted at the next rehearsal as being our "cherry on top!"

I have to agree with all the sentiments on this thread. When I first went
to the site when I was considering joining the band, I was blown away
be Ted's voice and Doug's guitar work. I like the way it is being done
now where most of the songs have lyrics, but we still get one or two to
experiment with instrumentally.

~Bill

Well, I always love Enchant´s instrumental interplay. The stuff going on in the end of "Sinking Sand" or the middle parts of "Seeds of Hate" and "Nighttime Sky", just to name a few, is impressive and spectacular and at the same time sublime and tasteful. I also love their, in a friendly way, totally quirky instrumentals.
From this point of view, I could really imagine Doug, Bill, Ed and Sean putting together a great instrumental album in the vein of Camel´s "The Snow Goose"... but then again, the emphasis Enchant put on Ted´s vocals as well as his and Doug´s lyrics thankfully is just too strong for these two trademarks to be completely omitted from an album.

The Stormbringer said:
Well, I always love Enchant´s instrumental interplay. The stuff going on in the end of "Sinking Sand" or the middle parts of "Seeds of Hate" and "Nighttime Sky", just to name a few, is impressive and spectacular and at the same time sublime and tasteful. I also love their, in a friendly way, totally quirky instrumentals.
From this point of view, I could really imagine Doug, Bill, Ed and Sean putting together a great instrumental album in the vein of Camel´s "The Snow Goose"... but then again, the emphasis Enchant put on Ted´s vocals as well as his and Doug´s lyrics thankfully is just too strong for these two trademarks to be completely omitted from an album.

To be fair - Ted plays a pretty mean guitar in his own right, so if anything
purely instrumental ever happened, he would be in it as well, I'm sure.

~Bill

BillyJ said:

~Bill

Ted is a great guitarist, and bassist as well! He has even been known to step on some pedals for me at times! Hey he is a versitile guy :loco:

So this is a cool thread, Enchant will most likely remain Enchant the way it is, and having an instrumental on each of the last two disc,s has been really cool! That kind of gives us our fix and to be honest the feedback is pretty damn good!

Who knows someday we may just do a side project all instrumental outside of the band! I know if I do one I want all my fellow Enchant members on it! Hmmmmmmm how about an alias deal guys! I can think of a few pretty interesting names! OK we won,t go there!

It is pretty incredible to play in a band with this much talent! it blows me away to be lucky enough to do this and be surrounded by not only my best friends but some of the most incredible musicians around!

I for one have always been a huge fan of instrumental albums! Latley I love Derricks Black Utopia discs they are awesome.

I am a huge fan of all the Jeff Beck, Al Dimeola type stuff I love it! Jazz Fusion and prog instrumental are amazing! That would be somthing really cool to do someday.

I don,t know how many people are really into this type of thing any more though? it is tough to pour your heart and soul into a project where you want the music to be so cool and not sell many copies! that would suck!

This makes me wonder just how much the average killer instrumental disc sells?

BillyJ said:
We outside the band sadly have little opportunity to witness Ted playing guitar. Well, there´s "See No Evil", which is really cool guitar-wise, and his occasional 2nd guitar stint at gigs (during "Under the Sun" or "Progtology", for instance), but not much else. I believe you anyway, though. ;)

ebass said:
So this is a cool thread

Thank you!!! :hotjump:

ebass said:
Enchant will most likely remain Enchant the way it is, and having an instrumental on each of the last two disc,s has been really cool! That kind of gives us our fix and to be honest the feedback is pretty damn good!

See, see!!! :headbang:

ebass said:
Who knows someday we may just do a side project all instrumental outside of the band! I know if I do one I want all my fellow Enchant members on it! Hmmmmmmm how about an alias deal guys! I can think of a few pretty interesting names! OK we won,t go there!

Please, doooooo! :tickled:

ebass said:
I for one have always been a huge fan of instrumental albums! Latley I love Derricks Black Utopia discs they are awesome. I am a huge fan of all the Jeff Beck, Al Dimeola type stuff I love it! Jazz Fusion and prog instrumental are amazing! That would be somthing really cool to do someday. I don,t know how many people are really into this type of thing any more though? it is tough to pour your heart and soul into a project where you want the music to be so cool and not sell many copies! that would suck! This makes me wonder just how much the average killer instrumental disc sells?

Well then, what are you waiting for? And Ted can go on on the second guitar and maybe fetch a nice solo here and there. Or maybe add some vocal, but non-lyric parts.

But seriously, I guess an all-instrumental album from Enchant could also be very interesting.

And you'd probably make as much money as with your regular albums, becasue I'm sure Enchant fans would still go and buy such one. I know I would...

ebass said:
Ted is a great guitarist, and bassist as well! He has even been known to step on some pedals for me at times! Hey he is a versitile guy :loco:
I second - and third and fourth - that! Ted wailed on guitar on the recent tour! :)

ebass said:
So this is a cool thread, Enchant will most likely remain Enchant the way it is, and having an instrumental on each of the last two disc,s has been really cool! That kind of gives us our fix and to be honest the feedback is pretty damn good!
I have heard Progtology descirbed as one of the greates prog instrumentals EVER and I certainly agree!!! Keep up these masterpieces!!!!

ebass said:
I for one have always been a huge fan of instrumental albums! Latley I love Derricks Black Utopia discs they are awesome.

I am a huge fan of all the Jeff Beck, Al Dimeola type stuff I love it! Jazz Fusion and prog instrumental are amazing! That would be somthing really cool to do someday.
Hey Ed, ya mentioned one of my faves there - Mr. Jeff Beck! I go back back back with him....one of fave CD's is his Blow by Blow - talk about a masterpiece! That is one sweeeeet disc --- and besides, who can't love a tune titled "Constipated Duck" ???

Cheers!!!