Opeth - Instrumental album?

City_of_da_Moon said:
HEY GUYS....think Dave Caswell (YaYo)
hehe :)

Well i do have a vocalist now (i think!), but it will be 90% clean vocals, death vocals used in maybe 2 or 3 riffs in the entire album. I think the album will still be largely instrumental, not sure how much vocals i'll actually put in there.

I personally think that instrumentals can be really cool, but that vocals give a song focus. A 10 minute instrumental seems long, the same song with a few vocals seems far shorter. A whole instrumental album would be really cool, but wouldnt be as personal or fulfilling to me.

I agree that LTP has released absolutely mind boggling intense technical metal. But I listen to them once and am completely blown away but then they rarely grace my cd player again.
Why? There are no vocals. Instrumental rock/metal is a difficult thing to do. It needs to grab the listener. This has rarely been acheived. Surfing with the alien is the notable exception. Anyone want to mention any others.
A fusion audience full of musicians, sax players, Holdsworth fanatics, technical bass players can sustain that genre but instrumental metal, I doubt it. Even Cynic and Watchtower threw in some vocals.
Then again maybe as one off it might work. But even though the guitarists in Opeth are talented they don't shred. Now that is of course a good thing but hey guest spot that guy from Bodom with Opeth's songwriting, now that would be worth at least one listen.

hmm... maybe an EP would be cool with instrumental remakes of some old shit. Megadeth did one of those, it fucking rocks.

Of course since Opeth already has so many long winded instrumental passages in their songs, and they're not really a "shred solos d00d!1!!!" type of band to put big crazy-ass solos where the verses were or something like that, such a concept might not work well for them.. or be redundant...

YaYo said:
hehe :)

Well i do have a vocalist now (i think!), but it will be 90% clean vocals, death vocals used in maybe 2 or 3 riffs in the entire album. I think the album will still be largely instrumental, not sure how much vocals i'll actually put in there.

I personally think that instrumentals can be really cool, but that vocals give a song focus. A 10 minute instrumental seems long, the same song with a few vocals seems far shorter. A whole instrumental album would be really cool, but wouldnt be as personal or fulfilling to me.

Finally a full lined up Unthroned gig. It going to take you guys so long to set up with all the members. I cant bloody wait though...One month to go!!!

Opeth should continue being Opeth. Theyll make a new album that noone can predict because thats what they are good at. we all expected the mellow album but did not know how good it would be. i was impressed. i think that the heavy singing is essential and the band has said in interviews that its what they have always done and they will keep doing it. otherwise i would say they are selling out, although i think i would like anything they did but i think they should make a new album involving maybe 1 or 2 instrumentals and the rest alternating between heavy and soft