Opeth and Shredding

shred doesn't take talent, it takes practice; it's a vocational form of playing

to play something that is emotional, nuanced, and tasteful takes talent

I'd rather hear Latimer piss on the strings of his guitar than petrucci slam 16 notes a second

illidurit said:
shred doesn't take talent, it takes practice; it's a vocational form of playing

to play something that is emotional, nuanced, and tasteful takes talent

I'd rather hear Latimer piss on the strings of his guitar than petrucci slam 16 notes a second

Yea, cuz you know... no fast player in the history of the planet has ever played anything with emotion :rolleyes:

Im the one gettin insulted but it seems like 90% of this board equates chops with wanking...now THATS just stupid...slow playing is not the only playing with emotion...and learning to play faster doesnt all of sudden mean you forgot how to play slow and with "emotion" as u guys call it...fast playing conveys just as much emotion

Depends. I like paced playing. Too much of any one thing starts sounding self-indulgent after a while. With my own playing, I try to do the Mike/Latimer expression thing but add Loomis/Malmsteen shred elements for pacing.

With that in mind, I think the ocassional section of an Opeth solo with some fast action could be a cool touch. Nothing over the top, or constant obviously... but just to add intensity to a part, I could see some legato shred or arpeggiated parts.

Moonlapse said:
Depends. I like paced playing. Too much of any one thing starts sounding self-indulgent after a while. With my own playing, I try to do the Mike/Latimer expression thing but add Loomis/Malmsteen shred elements for pacing.

With that in mind, I think the ocassional section of an Opeth solo with some fast action could be a cool touch. Nothing over the top, or constant obviously... but just to add intensity to a part, I could see some legato shred or arpeggiated parts.

Thank you. No more posts are required in this thread.

MAB2.jpg

Arsehole.

Shredding is shit, with very few exceptions.

well, i think Opeth with a shred guitarist would suck very much... I think what makes Opeth such a great band, well, at least one of the things, its that they have managed to be an incredible and metal band without havin to exceed the limits of speed. They, in the counterpart, can and are expressing in such a way with there instruments that for me, it covers everything else, and have managed to be now my favorite band.

BTW, hi to everyone! new to the forum :)

WOW. I'm surprised at these responses! I only said that to see what everyone's reaction would be. If people were going to turn it into a bashing contest, like I've seen many times here, I would have left this forum and not come back.

But too bad! I'm staying now. :heh:

The truth is, I like lots of guitar wanking and emotional slow solos, but I really couldn't listen to 5 or more minutes of one shred solo. :rolleyes:

Hey new person.

derbeder said:
:lol:
who is that?

That my friend is Michael Angelo Batio the aformentioned biggest twat on Earth, former guitarist of Nitro and only human being on this Earth who's 4 seperate parts of that quad guitar I would happily insert in to him...rectally and overload with electricty.

This man is a greater evil than Hitler, Stalin and Polpot put together.

if you want proof of this here is one of Nitro's videos. Notice how the singer mercilessly destroys a defenceless glass while Angelo takes on the far greater enemy, the audiences ear drums and sense of taste, with a weapon sent from the International Pretentious Association itself.

WARNING: MAY CAUSE VOMITING AND SEVERE DEPRESSION LEADING TO SUICIDAL TENDANCIES.

Powers said:
Shredding is shit, with very few exceptions.

Michael Angelo Batio is the worst example of a guitar player you could possibly give and portrays an extremely biased view of what fast playing is...

Its like citing Drew Carey as an example of comedy...

here is a list of "exceptions"....players that can play fast and still provide excellent melodic content and emotion...

Warren Haynes
Trey Anastasio
Steve Vai
Al Di Meola
Gary Moore
Jimi Hendrix
Randy Rhoads
Dimebag Darrell
Pete Townshend
Roine Stolte
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jeff Loomis
Joe Satriani
Frank Marino
Carlos Santana
Glenn Tipton and K.K Downing
Danny Gatton
Chris Poland
Adrian Legg
John 5
John McLaughlin
Robert Randolph
The Edge (and im not talking about his work in U2)
Zakk Wylde
Slash
Jimmy Page
John Petrucci
Mikael Akerfeldt
even fuckin Nick Drake had some serious chops on him...

I could keep going...but whats the point?

PS. Don't judge musicians by something they did or are doing in one band...