Opeth And Religion / Faith

Padre Bob de France

New Metal Member
May 31, 2004
Do you know what are the thoughts of Opeth about faith, religion etc...?
Are they really against?
Do you have some interview of Akerfeldt about these things?

Padre Bob de France said:
Do you know what are the thoughts of Opeth about faith, religion etc...?
Are they really against?
Do you have some interview of Akerfeldt about these things?

I beleive he is at least agnostic if not atheist. I highly doubt he is religious in any sense. Not to mention the newest album is supposed to be based on the occult...and 95% of death metal fans/bands are not religious. So im gonna say no on this one.

I believe Mikael said in an interview that Christian people are the most evil people on the planet. :)

I'll try and find something he said in an old LotFP interview...
Naah can't find it...well I remember reading from somewhere that he wasn't really pro-religion anyway. :p You can tell from Still Life that he isn't that happy about religion I suppose. Even if it's just a story. I mean, Neal Morse wouldn't make an album where religious people hang a guy and slit his girl's throat.

I remember an interview (I might be off) from a couple years ago where Mikael said "I never took to religion" or something like that, even though i think his family was somewhat religious? Something along these lines.

quote from mikael in 99:

Well, them Christians never get enough. I hate them! I despise Christianity, but I try not to care at all. I get disgusted when I see people who are so...nice! It’s shining through, those people gets my vote for being the sickest people on this earth. I bet they’re raping their children at home. They are sick motherfuckers!

http://www.mindspring.com/~raggije/interviews/OPETH03-1999.htm

i think this was a more personal interview, before they got as big as they are now.. i bet mike wouldn't say something like that today.

i don't blame him tho

Right, that's the interview I was looking for...well, I think I looked through it too, but the LotFP interviews with Mike are just pretty long.
Agree with Narrot, too. Works vice versa too, even though I'm still to find a christian band that I like. Nick Cave comes close, but he isn't christian. He's a god, though.

from a more current interview (Metal Refuge, '03)

"I’m actually baptized, and I was confirmed too, but that was one of the things you did, everybody did it. But I didn’t have any beliefs. We went on this trip up to the North in Sweden, for confirmation, like this camp. We stayed there for a week and we read the Bible and we had to do our own prayers. But I brought my death metal album, I wasn’t into that whole thing at all. It was just pretty much a theme because once you got in the front, you got a lot of gifts. My sister did it, I saw she got money and I was like “yeah” you know. All my friends did it, so I went there. But I’ve never believed in anything, any religion at all."

http://www.metalrefuge.com/interviews/opeth.html

I dont know if this is relvant but at the SF show before they played Demon of the Fall he said he made Demon sitting in a circle worshipping satan.

iseesmurfs420 said:
I dont know if this is relvant but at the SF show before they played Demon of the Fall he said he made Demon sitting in a circle worshipping satan.
I love it how metal bands think this stuff is offensive to Christian metalheads, it makes me laugh :rolleyes: