Opeth and Shredding

I think the nice thing about Opeth solos is that they perfectly match the song, and seem like a natural part of it, without interrupting the flow of the song. Shred solos often feel out of place in a song and are just there to impress because of the technical mastery of the instrument, but they often don't really benefit to the song imo, and especially in Opeth songs they would feel out of place, because the songs always build such a solid and flowing atmosphere.

fucking hell, your on fire today
better get the firebrigade to hose you down

no need to tell you how to spell 'sarcasm'

I am in a sarcastic mood 2 times a day. The only problem is that they each last 12 hours :erk:

paradoxile said:
naaa I always spell things wrong when I'm tired...which is pretty much always since I always post in unreasonable hours

It's esence ok?

wrong wrong wrong wrong, sorry I have spelt things 'wrong' as well.
enough already, some folk have to go out and earn some money

Some Guy said:
You are not being objective, you are being subjective, and it is your opinion that Opeth's music does not mix with shredding. Also saying that you do not need to hear it to be 100% sure is ignorant. I can imagine a shred solo on Blackwater Park just fine and I don't know what to say to you finding a shred solo almost offensive on Blackwater Park...it is just Opeth and shredding for Christs' sake. As for hip-hop and Opeth, although I hate most hip-hop if it sounds good to me, I would listen to it...I am not some metal elitist. I never thought Anthrax and Public Enemy could sound good together but they do.

you need to shut up. You asked for our opinion, we gave it to you and then you went off on some little tanget and started calling us all ignorant.

Don't freak out when somebody gives you their opinion after you ask for it.

Shredding aside, how could you even say something like "hiring a professional shredder". It's fucking Opeth, simply because they don't have shred solos does not mean they are not able to.

Shredding aside, how could you even say something like "hiring a professional shredder". It's fucking Opeth, simply because they don't have shred solos does not mean they are not able to.

I agree. I'm pretty sure that they're pretty advanced technically, they just don't shred on their records because it wouldn't fit with the music. But it might be fun for them to do a solo battle with each other once in a while at live gigs. :headbang:

I can't remember specifically right now... but there is some shred in Opeth songs...

but anyone who thinks that Mike and Peter are truly some amazingly technically proficient guitarists must be retarded... if they could shred better i fucking garuntee you would hear more shred on Opeth songs...

to me. people who hate on shredding are one of two things...

a) not musicians... meaning their opinion doesn't matter at all...
b) shitty musicians who use the "its not my style" excuse to avoid practicing harder...

not all shredders play like Yngwie, and the more chops you have the better your music will be. People will laugh at me for saying that...but thats fine...you probably dont understand what I mean anyways...

Stimuli said:
I can't remember specifically right now... but there is some shred in Opeth songs...

but anyone who thinks that Mike and Peter are truly some amazingly technically proficient guitarists must be retarded... if they could shred better i fucking garuntee you would hear more shred on Opeth songs...
Opeth do have their share of shredding, but you are mentally deficient so you probably missed those parts.

Some Guy said:
Don't know if this topic has been covered or not....but anyway...I was wondering what you guys would think if Opeth hired some guitar shredder for some session work or something for a future album(s).

[...]

Opeth would sound like with some shred. I think a song like "The Leper Affinity" would sound interesting with a shred solo...but yeah...what do you guys think?

OMG NO WAY!

Shredding may be cool, but it's far from mood-setting. I agree it's cool
in some tracks - but Opeth should stick to their thing. By the way I think
they are fast and good enough.

Stimuli said:

to me. people who hate on shredding are one of two things...

a) not musicians... meaning their opinion doesn't matter at all...
b) shitty musicians who use the "its not my style" excuse to avoid practicing harder...

not all shredders play like Yngwie, and the more chops you have the better your music will be. People will laugh at me for saying that...but thats fine...you probably dont understand what I mean anyways...

This has to be the most idiotic post I've read on here that wasn't made by shark22 or oinkness.

I think that really decent musicians who have developed a style over the years have a sort of musical vocabulary and way of communicating things much like a writer does. Shred is not a part of Opeth's expressive vocabulary, as I see it. It's like wishing that Jackson Pollock would try some representational painting for a bit, or that John Grisham would write sonnets. What these people pursue is how they best express themselves, and it's what they probably enjoy creating most. I cannot imagine Mikael, or anyone else in Opeth, imagining a part that would be enhanced somehow by a shred solo. That's not how they communicate.

And I can pretty well imagine what Opeth + Shred =. The answer is not Opeth. Besides, I'm mildly bothered by Steven Wilson's presence on Opeth albums, never mind some ax-slinger for hire...