Opeth and Shredding

Some Guy

New Metal Member
Jul 21, 2005
Don't know if this topic has been covered or not....but anyway...I was wondering what you guys would think if Opeth hired some guitar shredder for some session work or something for a future album(s). Granted Akerfeldt and Lindgren are good at what they do, their solos never really go beyond the moderate to mid-paced (at best) realm. Now I don't know what Mike and Peter are capable of outside Opeth but I am assuming that they are no Macalpine or Greg Howe (no disrespect intended). I'm not saying there should be shred in every song but I would like to hear what Opeth would sound like with some shred. I think a song like "The Leper Affinity" would sound interesting with a shred solo...but yeah...what do you guys think?

pretty much i think they don't want to. i remember an interview where mikael was saying he really respects yngwie malmsteen, and can do a bit of shred stuff himself, but he thinks it's been done to death already in metal, so they focus on slower solos.

Most of the people on this forum hate shredding. I love it, so I think this is a great idea.

EDIT: Yep, see? There's an idiot right now.

EDIT X2: Actually, just that guy. People who don't like shredding usually aren't idiots.

illidurit said:
shred is terrible

I'm not saying every song should have shred in it. It would interesting to see an album though with a blend of regular Opeth solos, and faster shred solos.

shark22 said:
I think there was some shredding in "circle of the tyrants".

I wouldn't really call that shred in addtion to it being a cover song...not an original work of Opeth.

The merits (or lack thereof) of shredding aside, it's obvious it would absolutely not fit into Opeth's music at all. So how anyone can think this is actually a good idea is beyond me.

CAIRATH said:
The merits (or lack thereof) of shredding aside, it's obvious it would absolutely not fit into Opeth's music at all. So how anyone can think this is actually a good idea is beyond me.

Try to look at it in an objective light...and how can you say it would not fit in Opeth's music if you've never heard it. If Opeth and shredding ever does happen and you hear it and don't like it, then that's another story.

illidurit said:
I'd rather listen to tasteful soloing than tubbs's brother flicking his tongue about petrucci's sphincter
You need to go away. I'm fine with you trolling this forum like you normally do, but talking about my brother like that is taking it too far.

EDIT: Die is a mean word. Let's replace it with go away!

illidurit said:
how can you say that a big band horn section and linkin park vocals would not fit in Opeth's music if you've never heard it?

For all I know it could...I don't knock anything unless I've heard it...even though you're delving into extremes...

I like shred soloing but it just wouldn't fit in with Opeths style. It would ruin the rest of the song. The slower more melodic solos really pull the songs together.

Some Guy said:
Now I don't know what Mike and Peter are capable of outside Opeth but I am assuming that they are no Macalpine or Greg Howe (no disrespect intended).?
i really like greg howe, especially when he was doing recording with vitalij kuprij. but there is no way he would fit in with anything opeth does. i think mikael and peter are more than capable of pulling off anything that actually fits in with the music they want to play.

Some Guy said:
Try to look at it in an objective light...and how can you say it would not fit in Opeth's music if you've never heard it. If Opeth and shredding ever does happen and you hear it and don't like it, then that's another story.

I am looking at it objectively. Opeth's music is not the type of music that goes together with shredding. I don't need to actually hear it to be absolutely one hundred percent sure of that. Really, imagining a shred solo on an album like MAYH, Still Life or Blackwater Park is almost offensive to me.

And with your reasoning you might as well start a topic about if it would be a good idea to add hiphop beats to Opeth songs.