Opeth Shred

SodomizerOfMankind said:
hmmm...i dunno it seems to me..that Opeth has some very unconventional riffage, but solos seem to be simple...with focus on feeling rather then technically, I guess Epilogue is my favorite Opeth solo...the tapping section at the beggining is bad ass....not a lot of that in opeth, fret tapping that is

That probably is the most emotional solo Opeth has ever had.

I don't know if anyone has an opinion about this, but I've always wondered if the duet at the end is supposed to suggest the MAYH spirit's reunion with the woman he loved...

sometimes i wish Opeth would shred just a BIT more on some of their solos, or just do some faster stuff in general, just to liven things up a little. not all shredding sounds like kirk hammet :\ it can be done right.

OpethNZ said:
i know exactly what u mean i love that song, and the first time i heard it i thought i had Dark Side Of The Moon in my cd player! hehe

Exactly, although I was thinking more along the lines of Obscured by Clouds. Check out the song "Mudmen" and you'll hear what I mean. The tempo is slower on that one, but it's got the same Hammond and emotional guitar. David Gilmour also happens to be a big Strat fan, which just makes the similarity even bigger.

I think their most shreddy solos are definately on The Funeral Portrait; I love that song. To be honest, not alot of Opeth's stuff is technically demanding. What is hard to nail, for me anyhow, is the the right tonality and vibrato width and such when it comes to Mike's soloing... there's just something about the way he plays that only comes with having played as long as he has.

The album that comes closest to being technically demanding is definately Still Life. Not just the solos but alot of the riffs in general take a greater degree of precision to nail, simply because alot of them are so damned 'weird' that you would never have thought of playing that certain series of notes or chords.

Btw, yeah Mordet i Grottan shreds pretty damn hard, that solo owns too. One thing I think is that they should've sped up the solos in The Funeral Potrait some more, as those things are just made to go hard.

What people seem to forget alot of the time is that there is two very distinct, different and contrasting ends of the soloing scale. You have the 'feeling' side which is meant to enhance the general feel of the song and is more of an extension of a lead part as opposed to being a 'solo' per-se. I favour those. The other end is the end which is technical for the sake of being technical and believe me that in itself can add immense enjoyment to even the most 'emotional' of songs. It is simply different styles and different forms of appreciation.

<<simply because alot of them are so damned 'weird' that you would never have thought of playing that certain series of notes or chords.

>> this is so true...they have some strange ideas now and then...

Whats with the hating on Satriani? He plays with more feel and emotion than the majority of guitarists out there. For the most part his stuff isn't shred, and a lot of it isn't very fast or technically challenging. He certainly doesn't overplay.

The things with Opeth is they have beautiful tasteful solo's over tasteless shredding....but they're still amazing...

G3 accident? Even Vai plays with tons of emotion. He has a lot of wank to him, but he makes his guitar speak as well.