Opeth - Instrumental album?

The Master

Racist Melon Farmer
Feb 24, 2003
This Island Earth
www.paulnetwork.com
Got an idea, probably been posted here before, but I thought with Mike's recent comments on what the next thing may be for Opeth, there could be some interesting discussion on the possibilities. Yeah, its a little early now to be thinking about it, so I guess just take this with a grain of salt.

What would you think about an all-instrumental Opeth record?

I'm wondering if it would work. There have been some really great moments by the band that have been instrumental, and I think they're more than capable of pulling it off.

ahhh no please, let's just go back to death metal, Opeth at its best, i'm fine and more than happy with the one or two instrumentals per album, but JUST instrumental... i'd download it, thats it though.

The Master said:
Got an idea, probably been posted here before, but I thought with Mike's recent comments on what the next thing may be for Opeth, there could be some interesting discussion on the possibilities. Yeah, its a little early now to be thinking about it, so I guess just take this with a grain of salt.

What would you think about an all-instrumental Opeth record?

I'm wondering if it would work. There have been some really great moments by the band that have been instrumental, and I think they're more than capable of pulling it off.

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Mikaels voice is improving with each album, it'd be a shame to lose it!

svenske kocken
"No thanks. The weakest Opeth track are always the instrumental ones."

What the fuck mate have you lost your mind ...Epilogue, Ending Credits, Patterns in the Ivy, For Absent Friends are great Opeths songs..Epilogue is my favourite Opeth track.

I wouldnt really care if they had put out an instrumental album but Opeths instrumentals aren't weak and the music speaks many words

I'm not keen as well on a totally instrumental.

Though its unfair though, cause i listen to opeth for enjoying the music, im not into THEIR lyrics at all, isnt interesting for me. but somehow we need those vocals (cause we're used to?)

In response to those who said they'd like Opeth to go back to their classic death metal style, that would be nice, in some regards, but I for one would be disappointed. I want to see Opeth progress even further and do more different stuff than go back to their original style.

As far as the instrumental album goes, I wouldn't buy it. As good as Opeth, an all instrumental album would be a bit dull, and would lose one of the main reasons Opeth is such a force: Mikael's vocals.

I love instrumental SONGS on their CDs, especially small stuff like For Absent Friends or Patterns in the Ivy, but it would be too much otherwise.

I for one don't think it'd be a good idea. Has anyone ever listened to Liquid Tension Experiment? Great musicianship on the album, but I couldn't listen to it fully more than once. An album like that needed vocals, and if Opeth released an all instrumental album it would gather more dust on my shelves than that Liquid Tension Experiment cd.

Now I will allow the ignorant to flame on for the "gathering dust" remark.

NP: My Dying Bride - My Hope the Destroyer (if u dont have it, then you are gay)