All of you with a 5150, (pre)gain questions...

abyssofdreams

knows what you think.
Sep 30, 2002
Germany
www.abyssofdreams.com
I've read about and tested dozens of knob settings on my 5150(I, block letter) and what I noticed is that 99% of them have the Crunch button "Off" and Pregain at around "3" (not o'clock but number here).

Now... HOW THE HELL do you get ANY usable gain with pregain at 3 !?!?!
I hear some nice distortion from 6.5 upwards but usually have to keep it at 7 - 7.5 for a good amount of gain.

It isn't distorted or punchy at all when at 3.

I'm on the green channel here.

And my settings are:

High gain input.
Bright: On.
Crunch: Off.
Pre gain: 7.3
Lows: 8
Mids: 3.5
Treble: 6.5
Post gain: 3
Resonance: 8.5
Presence: 7

EMG 85/81, guitar straight into amp, no tubescreamer, unmodded amp. ENGL 4x12 V60.

When on the lead channel I have to put the lead pre gain below 3 or it's overgained if that helps...

Is there maybe something wrong with my tubes?

Use those settings but go the red channel and keep the pre gain between 3 and 5. It will rip your face off.

If you cant get that to sound good, your doing something seriously wrong.

I can't imagine anyone recommending using the green channel for metal without the crunch switch...just use your ears Abyss, forget the recommendations if they sound like crap! (cuz I can definitely say green with no crunch sounds like crap to me!)

I can't imagine anyone recommending using the green channel for metal without the crunch switch...just use your ears Abyss, forget the recommendations if they sound like crap! (cuz I can definitely say green with no crunch sounds like crap to me!)

Yeah, I can get my 5150 to sound decent but yet it keeps me wondering where all those settings are coming from...

Just an example:
http://www.wolfgangregistry.com/5150-info/5150-amp-settings.html

Either they all use the lead channel for rhythms or I'm too stupid to figure it out o_O:ill::zombie:

i like green with Crunch on, gain at 6-7 bass 6-7 mid 5 treble 6-7 resonance 8 prescence 5 and volume at around 4-5

Sometimes the green channel works better for me, sometimes red channel. I actually got some really nice results recently using the green channel, pre gain on 3 (crunch and bright buttons engaged), with a tubescreamer before boosting the signal. Used the normal gain input.

Settings were:

Lows:6
Mids:4
High:6
Resonance:7.5
Presence:just past 7

Don't mean to be a n00b but I remember the booklet for my 6505 wasn't very detailed about the differences between the different inputs, it was more a case of see what you like best. Does anyone know?

The settings you mention are pretty much ALL for the lead-channel. Most 5150-players I've seen use the red channel for rhythms.
That doesn't do it for me. On the one hand, the red channel lacks character for rhythm-work (my opinion) ... on the other hand I just can't get myself to use a channel that is called "lead" for "rhythm" stuff :D

My settings (depending on cab):
Green (Crunch on, bright off)
pre-gain: 5.5-6
bass: 7-8
mid: 3-4 (I often play with the mids on around 6 ... recently I'm going for a slightly scooped sound)
treble: 4.5
resonance: 7-8
presence: 7-8

I use the red-channel for lead-stuff only (pre-gain at 5)

Boss SD-1 in front of the amp:
gain at around 3 o'clock
tone at around 11 - 11:30
volume at around 12

The settings you mention are pretty much ALL for the lead-channel. Most 5150-players I've seen use the red channel for rhythms.
That doesn't do it for me. On the one hand, the red channel lacks character for rhythm-work (my opinion) ... on the other hand I just can't get myself to use a channel that is called "lead" for "rhythm" stuff :D

My settings (depending on cab):
Green (Crunch on, bright off)
pre-gain: 5.5-6
bass: 7-8
mid: 3-4 (I often play with the mids on around 6 ... recently I'm going for a slightly scooped sound)
treble: 4.5
resonance: 7-8
presence: 7-8

I use the red-channel for lead-stuff only (pre-gain at 5)

Boss SD-1 in front of the amp:
gain at around 3 o'clock
tone at around 11 - 11:30
volume at around 12

pretty much exactly my settings....I'm having the bright engaged though

I get decent results with the gain somewhere between 5 and 6. Crunch and Bright switches both on. Tubescreamer in front with everything at around 12:00. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

And then I use the red channel for cleans...it's pretty ridiculous but it works OK.

Don't mean to be a n00b but I remember the booklet for my 6505 wasn't very detailed about the differences between the different inputs, it was more a case of see what you like best. Does anyone know?

A 6dB difference, and nothing else, as I understand it - my friend (who actually bought my old 5150 combo) uses the low gain input so he can get the green channel to actually stay clean and have some volume, and just raises the gain on the read channel to compensate; pretty simple, but I'd never heard of anyone doing it before, and it works :)

Wait a minute -- were you running your pre gain at 3 or 7? I was saying that anyone who tells you to setting your rhythm pre gain to 3 is a cocknocker. It's fucken fact.

I'm a cocknocker!

Here's a clip with a 5150 (6505) with pregain at 3.
Two guitartracks, bass, live drums and vocals.

EMG81 - > TS9 (gain min, tone 12 o clock, balance 12 o clock) -> 6505 (pregain at 3) -> Marshall 4x12" V30

http://home.online.no/~mstra/files/cocknocker.mp3