All Shall Perish / Abigail Williams, 26 Feb 09, The Black Sheep, Colorado Springs, CO

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
All Shall Perish, Abigail Williams, Suffokate, Underneath the Gun, Conducting from the Grave
26 February 2009, the Black Sheep, Colorado Springs, CO
by Ryan Starr

California represent! Well, almost every band on the tour was from California. But don’t worry; we won’t hold it against Abigail Williams. None the less, California was well represented on the core front that evening. The Springs based crowd was eager for their night to two step and flail their fists in the air, and they got exactly what they needed.

The first band went on oddly early, at seven, so I only got to experience about half of Conducting from the Grave’s set. What I did see what a young band kicking ass for the even younger crowd. Opening acts often suffer from small crowds as people trickle in the door, but this wasn’t the case. The floor was packed except for the pit, which was filled with a good collection of dancer doing their best to knock my teeth in. Conducting from the Grave certainly did a great job of exciting the crowd, and the following bands reaped the rewards. It was a strong showing for a band that’s destined to move up the ladder of metalcore success.

Mosh for Christ! That’s right, you read this correctly. Christian metalcore, or Christcore as I like to call it, is the latest of trends in the scene and Underneath the Gun are one of the flag bearers of the sub genre. Underneath the Gun took to the stage second with their God inspired metalcore, giving his holiness props for their talent and success, although the crowd response to that statement was less than enthusiastic. Christian motives aside, the performance was worthy of the tour and the crowd seemed receptive, but for me personally, they were forgettable.

Suffokate played third and possibly had the best crowd reaction of the night. Their version of core is highly dependant on death metal, and it works in their favor. The dancers lost control for most of their set, only taking a break when singer Ricky Hoover requested a circle pit. Apparently circle pits are a difficult thing to accomplish and require more coordination than the average dancer has. In any case, the band displayed complete dominance for their half hour set and hopefully gathered some new fans because of it. As soon as their show was done, the merch table was swarmed, so that’s a good sign.

Co-headlining was the only band without a breakdown, Abigail Williams. Unfortunately while their set was executed perfectly, the majority of the crowd just wasn’t into it. Perhaps the average core kid just isn’t interested in black metal. Thankfully some of my friends were there to represent American black metal and started a proper pit and gave the band some much deserved support. Let’s hope the next time Abigail Williams comes through, they come with a more metal package.

Finally, it was time to get gangsta. I’m not entirely sure why All Shall Perish likes to start their set off with some rap, but the audience seemed receptive. After the shizzle intro track began the onslaught that quite literally knocked my teeth in. My favorite song ‘Deconstruction’ was played third and I appropriately went up to the stage to show some support. Once I heard the queue for the breakdown, I began to make my escape to the back of the room, but it was too late. The dancing had started and I received a fist to the mouth, knocking two teeth loose. I’m used to battle scars, but this one concerned me because the ladies love my smile, and I would hate to lose it. So I stuck around for a few more songs and then went home to tend to my wounds. Needless to say, the band continued to kick everyone’s ass and the spectators maintained their violent support.

Even though the night ended painfully for me, the show went off extremely well. The fans got what they wanted, and that’s the most important thing for any band. I’ll definitely be at the next show, though possibly with a mouth guard or a football helmet.

Official All Shall Perish Website
Official All Shall Perish Myspace
Official Abigail Williams Myspace
Official Suffokate Website
Official Suffokate Myspace
Official Underneath the Gun Myspace
Official Conducting from the Grave Website
Official Conducting from the Grave Myspace

Official Nuclear Blast Website
Official Candlelight Records Website
Official Mediaskare Website
Official Ferret Music Website