Almost time....

that is so good! killer production, Great hooks, cool solo and heavy as fuck. A bit faster too. that's a welcome element in my book!

Ha ha, my baby sat here and listened with full attention too! She loves it.
Great job guys, again, I can't wait!

Loving the cover, TS always delivers.

Also digging the faster approach. Production is heavy and clear, and you all sound at the top of your game. Can't wait to hear the rest!

Wow, this song seriously rocks!! Cover is great too. I'm pumped for this CD!! Excellent job as always. ::kickass:

Nice! Random thoughts (after only one listen <-- disclaimer):

This song has more pace than I'm used to from ND, and I like it. I remember being excited the first time I heard Joe's opening of The Pale Haunt Departure , since it served immediate notice that this wasn't yet more of the same; the groove this song gets into right away even doubles the stepping up of TPHD.

I got reminded at times of Testament's Murky Waters off Demonic, in the way Paul delivers the vocal lines (probably mostly because both songs include the word "water" several times!). I also like that when the song slows up and Paul's voice goes cleaner, that he still delivers by song - in contrast to earlier ND songs when some mellower, clean parts were almost done in spoken word.

I'll bet Joe is very tired when he's done playing this tune.

And did I detect some very understated keys a couple of times? Nice subtle use of them.

Good work, gentlemen! I posted the link on the PM:X2 board, so hopefully you'll get some hits from those fine folks, too.

Ken

The release date is February 20th, 2007. Not sure if that's worldwide or just for North America.

Thanks for the feedback again, guys. With some time for people to let it set in and listen to it more, I'll be curious to hear more from you guys later about it. Reaction overall seems to be positive but I do think this track has surprised some people, both good and bad LOL Oh well, as I said, just wait a couple months 'til you hear the full cd.

I'm glad to see the positive comments about the guitar solo stuff. I played all the guitar solos on this record, including the one here in "Drown the Inland Mere". I've never been overly confident in having alot of soloing in ND but since the last album I've warmed up to the idea more. I knew people would think it sounded very Dan/Edge of Sanity-ish, I couldn't help it! He's an influence on me for many years now (since around Unorthodox, matter of fact) so it's inevitable. I also find Lars from Candlemass to be very inspiring in terms of writing melodic solos for this general kindo of music. Plus I just think that type of phrasing and movement is what suits our music. If I tried putting some Yngwie type lead or Slayer lead over this, I think it'd have been ridiculous *laughs* My leads are not complex or flashy in the slightest, I know. I just try to write them so that they are melodic and hummable like the other melodies in the song.

Wow! Superb, both artwork and song. I printed out the artwork at work earlier today and hung it on the wall at work! I'm listening to the song for something like the 8th time already, and really like it. Can't wait for the full album :) :headbang: You guys rule!

Wow guys what a song!! I love it!! I'm digging the fast guitars playing,and I just think you sound like nothing more then yourselfs,as it should be!
Paul's vocals are so intense it really grabs ya,there's just no other way I can explain that,due to my lack of English writing,but I hope you get my point.
I particulary like the part somewhere around the 3 minute till the end,like everyone else here,I can't wait to hear all of The Novella Reservoir!
I also like the Artwork of TS very,very much,it's again beautiful,I love the colors he uses,somekind of Ice blue,I've seen that before,I hope the booklet explains more of the meaning behind the cover,although I already have my own view on that!
Great job guys,compliments to all of you! :)

Your gonna play Drown The Inland Mere the 17th, right?

metalprof said:
That's Vito's job. :)

Ken

Haha yeah that's definitely his cup of tea, though I do like that stuff too. Just not for ND.

That reminds me, to correct myself, I play most of the solo guitars on the disc but Vito did play some solo harmony guitars that appear in the song "The Voice Of Failure" :headbang:

Angeleyes Part II said:
I particulary like the part somewhere around the 3 minute till the end
Which funnily enough is also about 3 minutes *into* the song. :)

BTW Angeleyes, looks like we won't be able to make it to Helmond, after all. It's Vosselaar and Wervik for us. Feel like dropping by?

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
My leads are not complex or flashy in the slightest, I know. I just try to write them so that they are melodic and hummable like the other melodies in the song.
Excellent point. It's all a matter of getting the right vibes and make things fit in a way that listeners go "yeah, that's the way it was meant to be...!"

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
I'm glad to see the positive comments about the guitar solo stuff. I played all the guitar solos on this record, including the one here in "Drown the Inland Mere". I've never been overly confident in having alot of soloing in ND but since the last album I've warmed up to the idea more. I knew people would think it sounded very Dan/Edge of Sanity-ish, I couldn't help it! He's an influence on me for many years now (since around Unorthodox, matter of fact) so it's inevitable.

It also helps the freshness of Drown The Inland Mere that Dan's soloing style was relatively underutilized when he was in Edge of Sanity. It's not just "HAY, THAT SOUNDS LIKE EDGE!" That particular sound was basically lost because the band broke up when Dan was in that stage of his musical evolution. His newer stuff, including the second Crimson, don't really have that dark, melodic death metal sound. So you're treading ground that for some reason other bands avoided once Edge broke up. It's kind of interesting to see an American band pick up elements of the sound of what was Sweden's finest death metal band (or maybe the finest of all time, for that matter) many years after they broke up.

To me, Dan's soloing style like what he played on "Dark World Burden" is perfect for this kind of music. Like I said, if you take that plus Lars from Candlemass, a bit of Iommi, and some Trouble and Thin Lizzy style leads and harmonies, and that's what makes a good guitar solo for the kind of music we're trying to make here. I don't think I'm even a pimple on the ass of any of the aforementioned guitar players when it comes right down to it, but I try to take the influence of those players and do something with it myself, to the best of my abilities.

Edge of Sanity has ALWAYS been criminally overlooked and underrated by many people when talking about the great European metal bands of the '90s. I don't know what it's like elsewhere but here in the States, EoS is still very unknown or unheard of by many metalheads. Nowadays, Swano and EoS have gotten a bit more exposure and I've seen the fanbase grow considerably but I remember back in the early to mid-nineties, people were raving about Entombed, Dismember, and so on, but very few really knew about EoS other than the real diehard underground fans. I was lucky enough to get exposed to them pretty early on by a couple of people who knew their stuff. Anyhow, point is, Paul, myself, and even Eric (our old guitarist/songwriter) have been fans and inspired by EoS for many years. I guess it is unusual for an American band to be inspired by EoS but to me it feels natural. I actually care for very few American DM bands!

Lionfrost said:
BTW Angeleyes, looks like we won't be able to make it to Helmond, after all. It's Vosselaar and Wervik for us. Feel like dropping by?

Oohh,that's to bad,I already have my ticket for Helmond,I was really looking forward to meet both of you,honestly :(
I also kinda hoped I could hide behind ya during the gig,yes I'm actually a chicken,I don't know that place,I don't know the city,I don't know anyone else who's going except maybe for AntZor and his friend,I was supose to go with a friend but he has wedding to attend..and well I'm not exactly looking like Xena a Warrior Princess you know,to be honest,I'm scared to death to be there all by myself.. I'll let you know about the Belgium gigs ok,I'm not sure I'm able to make it tho...

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
Edge of Sanity has ALWAYS been criminally overlooked and underrated by many people when talking about the great European metal bands of the '90s. I don't know what it's like elsewhere but here in the States, EoS is still very unknown or unheard of by many metalheads. Nowadays, Swano and EoS have gotten a bit more exposure and I've seen the fanbase grow considerably but I remember back in the early to mid-nineties, people were raving about Entombed, Dismember, and so on, but very few really knew about EoS other than the real diehard underground fans. I was lucky enough to get exposed to them pretty early on by a couple of people who knew their stuff. Anyhow, point is, Paul, myself, and even Eric (our old guitarist/songwriter) have been fans and inspired by EoS for many years. I guess it is unusual for an American band to be inspired by EoS but to me it feels natural. I actually care for very few American DM bands!

Oh god, I remember that so vividly. Remember the big fucking deal everyone made about the cover art from Massive Killing Capacity and Wolverine Blues? My friends were like MAN DID YOU SEE, WOLVERINE IS ON THE COVER OF ENTOMBED'S NEW ALBUM!!! I wanted to vomit.

I was really into Paradise Lost and EoS in the mid 1990s (I'm still into EoS as it is). Metal was really trendy then, in retrospect. When other on-the-cusp bands Samael and Moonspell came out with Passage and Irreligious, which are two of my favorite albums ever, some of my friends swore them off for abandoning their darker sound, especially Samael. Although Samael went waaaaaaaay off the deep end after that (are there any two bigger victims in rock and roll of the techno craze of the late 1990s than Paradise Lost and Samael?)