Altar of Plagues & Cobalt

I really like Altar of Plagues, but this Cobalt is fucked up; it's fucked up in a good way, I think. After one spin, I don't even know what to think about it.

currently wearing my altar of plagues t-shirt like it was no thing

I really liked cobalt, and am starting to come around to the altar of plagues (its not hot summer day music, and right now its cloudy thunderstorms and rain).

My copy of Gin from Profound Lore came with a white scuff going down the upper left hand part of the booklet. I assume this wasn't done to make the artwork look vintage, and it is indeed a defect incurred during the printing process. May or may not post a pic later to provide visual account. Also, Dry Body sounds like what Godsmack* had wished to achieve on Awake, but failed miserably to attain.

*An attempt to bring Zod in to the convo.

The white line/scruff across the eyes is intentional, but that doesn't sound like what you are describing as you mentioned "down".

My Altar of Plagues Digi was kind of beat up, so not sure what's going on over there recently.

DSC01089.jpg

My copy of Altar of Plagues has a similar scruff, albeit near the center fold.

Cobalt - Eater of Birds may be the best black metal I've ever heard from a U.S band. This is a total mindfuck that permeates deep in to the psyche. There's albums that lead one to introspection, for whatever the case may be. Antimatter being one band that drives the listener to pensively drift off to the here, the now, and what lies to come. This effect is rarely seen when presented with an auditory date-rape of this most scabrous variety. My first listen left me staring at the ceiling as if I had ingested vast quantities of nutmeg chased by Nyquil PM. The music also follows a more linear pass, where as Gin leap frogs in to other sub-genres. Dry Body while doing an excellent job in giving the listener a breather inbetween Gin and Arsonry, doesn't act aswell as a preposition for violence as does the Ritual Use of Fire trilogy. This is buy or convert to Judaism material were talking about folks. Krallice, Wolves, Skagos, or any other self-respecting USBM can't touch this Colorado tandem, even with MC's hammer. Vittra your name has been written in the book of the righteous!

late to the party Jerry but mostly in your right. Though I'm starting to prefer Gin over Eater of Pigeons. Their first album War Metal isn't to be disregarded either. Totally rawer and more, well, warlike.

Anyone notice that section in the Altar of Plagues, little bit prior to 3 minutes in on track 4, that sounds pretty much like the build up section in 3minutes or so of Agalloch's Fire Above Ice Below ( around "There has never been a silence like this before")?

I laughed.

Maybe that's why I like it so much! Anyways, it does sound like the build up, yet still not quite a rip off. Probably an homage or not realizing it.

Yeah, I'm writing it off as just similar.

Granted, I'm still not sure if I like the album or not. I'll decide when I get around to buying it (I'm assuming that means I like it a bit, who knows).

I guess I saw altar open for wolves a year ago, and thought they were pretty okay. Didn't blow me away. Maybe it was their sound?

Dev was there too!

Possibly sound, but I don't think AoP is a band you get the full picture of live without hearing the album prior, so could have been that as well. Do you remember when this was? I wasn't even aware they had come overseas already, that's good news.

They are currently touring (since June I guess) UK/Ireland with Thou and Moloch in June. That would be an interesting...

Well that makes a lot more sense :lol:

Hope they don't take a PRIMORDIAL length of time to get across seas.

Both of these albums have been on repeat for awhile now, thanks for the reco. :wave: