Alternative To Mackie Big Knob

cobhc

Amiga Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Anyone know of a cheaper alternative to The Big Knob. I only really need the volume control part for when I get my Mackie HR824's. As I'd prefer not to use windows volume control to control the volume of them.

James Murphy said:
i don't know the prices of things in the UK, but you should look at the PreSonus Central Station

Hmm, I know this is gonna sound lame, but I'd prefer to not have something rack mounted such as the presonus, as I have a bedroom which is about 7ft x 7ft, so I'm trying to save space as well as money lol.

Edit: The presonus is also £50 more than the Big Knob.

Not good how? We don't get any coloration or any humming or anything. Properly made cables should take care of any worries. The Central Station is cool...but my boss and I have seriously debated it and see not one real advantage to having it instead of our Big Knob. But that's just us.

~006

The only negative thing I hear about the Big Knob is it adds a little coloration. But then on the same hand people have said that is bullshit. I decided not to take the chance plus I don't have the room on my desk for a big Knob. The remote that you can purchase for the CS is nice and small.

Right, we don't have any problems with coloration. At all. I think it's just people using low-grade cables.

~006

Matt Crooks said:
Dangerous Monitor ST Rocks! I love mine.
the thread starter did mention budget constraints. the dangerous unit can't really be considered. i'm interested in that unit though...so you're having no troubles with it? had my eye on the ST and SR since NAMM.

James Murphy said:
the thread starter did mention budget constraints. the dangerous unit can't really be considered. i'm interested in that unit though...so you're having no troubles with it? had my eye on the ST and SR since NAMM.

Yeah - it is a bit out of the budget :)

The only problem was waiting for it. The guys at dangerous are very helpful, but I did have to buy it sight unseen since they don't have a lot of distribution. I ordered mine in early January but did not get it until after the NAMM show since the two man shop was empty.

Since I've had it I've had no problems, and it is a huge step up over my previous monitor controler (a Mackie d8b, that I litterally only used for talkback and as a volume knob).

I'm not doing surround, so I don't have the SR, but it is nice to know that the investment in the ST can be used when going to surround.