Alternative versions of songs that are better than the orignals

Vilden

From the holy kingdom of Harmonia
Aug 7, 2002
Stockholm, Sverige
Hi!

I was wondering, do you have any alternative version of a song- like a live recording, re-recording, new vocalist, or w/e. I guess demo versions also fit even though they most of the time predate the official release- that you like more than the orignal version?

I have to think about it myself for abit before I get back to it.

:)

Reactions: Omni
The Heathen demo with Paul Baloff is better than the studio versions of the same songs. There's a live Slauter Xstroyes video circa 1983 where I prefer Jon Stewart's vocals to the album equivalents, although the recording quality is obviously poorer. I prefer the Othyrworld album over the original Sacred Blade album as well in basically all respects.

EDIT: Oh and the more efficient Metal Up Your Ass versions of Phantom Lord and No Remorse are definitely the superior arrangements, although the production, Hetfield's stronger vocals, and Hammett still make the Kill Em All versions my preferred listening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Omni and Vilden
I really like the Tokyo 1984 version of "Queen of the Reich" more than the version on the EP. Geoff had a great live voice in those days.

I like Metallica’s version of ‘Helpless’ better than the Diamond Head version.. *ducks*

I like Crowbar's version of "No Quarter" better than Led Zeppelin's. Led Zeppelin's has the superior intro, but the vocals and timing of Crowbar's version is much better IMO. *ducks*

I like the live versions of "Forbidden Evil", "Chalice of Blood" and "Through Eyes of Glass" on Forbidden's EP "Raw Evil: Live at the Dynamo 1989" better than the studio versions, mostly because of the rawer live sound. The sound on the studio album has always been a bit too clean for this type of music for my taste.

I also like the demo versions of "Search Eternal", "The Fear Within" and "Winds of Vengeance" on the reissue of Sacrilege's "Within the Prophecy" slightly better than the album versions, also because of the rawer sound and because I think Lynda Simpson's vocals sound more aggressive.