always looking for new bands

newtometal

New Metal Member
Dec 14, 2016
Hi all,

I recently discovered that I like heavy metal (didn't in my youth). Here is a partial list of bands I like (and some I don't) and am looking for suggestions.

1) Testament : Overall my favorite.
2) Static-X: yes.
3) Slayer: Mostly yes. Seasons in the abyss is my favorite song from them. Sometimes the music is a tad chaotic for me.
4) Coal Chamber- yes.
5) Metallica- No. Don't know why, just nope.
6) Megadeth- Yes.
7) Soil- Yes.
8) Anthrax- Nope.
9) Pantera- Mostly yes.
10) Prong- yes.
11) Iron Maiden-yes.
12) Sepultura: Mostly yes.

I can't claim I have heard all the music from all these bands, but youtube and pandora is what I use to listen. I really like it when the drums sound like they have double bass and they are using it like a drum roll sound. Death growling is not necessary and sometimes I like it in a song and sometimes I don't. Testament's "More than meets the eye" is mostly non growling but I like how he dips into it occasionally.

Thanks!!

You seem like a thrash metal and classic heavy metal guy, so I'd recommend Exodus, Overkill, Forbidden, Heathen, Artillery, Motörhead, Venom, Kreator, Sodom, Tankard, Destruction, Atrophy, and Death for now. Any further questions or recommendations, just ask.

Reactions: Baroque
Thrash with mostly clean vocals:

Artillery
Watchtower
Paradox
Havok
Mantic Ritual

Other Heavy Metal you may enjoy
Dio
Rainbow
Motörhead
Spellcaster

Since you mentioned the drums and double bass especially check out Havok, Grip Inc. (drummer is from slayer) and Warfect.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
Start with some easy listening stuff like Orchidectomy then maybe move into something smoother like Portal or Guttural Secrete, then finally get just a taaaaaad heavier with some Cephalotripsy or Hate Eternal. Sounds exactly like a lot of what you listed.

Reactions: EspaDa
Thanks everyone for your replies! I will look into these bands! I wouldn't mind finding a band that sound musically like Sepultura or Amon Amoth (spelling?) and vocally like Iron Maiden, if that exists.... thanks again!

Start with some easy listening stuff like Orchidectomy then maybe move into something smoother like Portal or Guttural Secrete, then finally get just a taaaaaad heavier with some Cephalotripsy or Hate Eternal. Sounds exactly like a lot of what you listed.

Fucking hell why I haven't seen this response until now :tickled:.

Reactions: morguelord
I enjoyed exploring the music styles of these bands that I did not know existed. I think I'll stick with Slayer for now. :)

Stumbled onto Arch Enemy. I really like the drums and guitar. I think I can get use to the female death growling. Overall, a nice find.

These guys a pretty new, but I discovered them on youtube and fell in love! They have a similar writing style to memphis mayfire. They have more stuff up on their reverb page. wew.reverbnation.com/aliveinthenight

Get into some black and death metal.

Black metal:

Burzum
Mayhem
Darkthrone
Emperor
Immortal
Absurd
Graveland
Temnozor

Death metal:

Possessed
Death
Morbid Angel
Cannibal Corpse
Obituary
Deicide

Thanks everyone for your replies! I will look into these bands! I wouldn't mind finding a band that sound musically like Sepultura or Amon Amoth (spelling?) and vocally like Iron Maiden, if that exists.... thanks again!

Try some more aggressive power metal, like Sabaton. They're pretty heavy, and they have a cover of Twilight of the Thunder God by Amon Amarth.

Try some more aggressive power metal, like Sabaton. They're pretty heavy, and they have a cover of Twilight of the Thunder God by Amon Amarth.
I listed to a few Sabaton songs, and it just doesn't hit me like, say, Testament does. I don't have a complicated system to determining if I want to hear more. It's a simple yes or no in my brain as I listen. However, I do appreciate the recommendation!

Get into some black and death metal.

Black metal:

Burzum
Mayhem
Darkthrone
Emperor
Immortal
Absurd
Graveland
Temnozor

Death metal:

Possessed
Death
Morbid Angel
Cannibal Corpse
Obituary
Deicide

For now, I like the Melodic Death Metal sound better. Thanks for the recommendations!

Right now, with listening to many, but definitely only a small sample size of heavy metal, my top 2 groups are Testament (Thrash?) and Arch Enemy (MDM?). I enjoy their respective sounds the most of all the groups I have heard so far. But, like the title says, I am always looking for the next bad to enjoy/discover. This doesn't mean these are the only two I like, just the top to me. Please feel free to suggest more! Thanks for all the replies again!

Btw: I was listen to some Exodus song and I thought to myself that the singer (when clean singing vs yelling) sounds a bit like Bon Scott from AC/DC. Then I found this:

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft