Am I Doing It Right?

Corgrash

Scum Lord
Jan 25, 2015
London
Pick up the Zen of Screaming dvd. It really helped my son before he decided to try opera. Helps with warm ups and keeping your throat in top shape.

Sounds good to me. However, a word of advice, one vocalist to another: dont try to sound like everyone else, have your own sound and be creative and different, you should check out a band called cattle decapitation, especially live, their vocalist really lets it all hang out, and just lets it all happen. The point is:have your own sound, and be unnique.

There is little technique to straight out screaming. Just scream as loud as you can, and use your diaphragm for some added support behind the scream.

There are certain types of screams that do require technique.

For a death growl, open your mouth into a circular shape, and do a guttural scream, push with your diaphragm, and hold it back slightly, to keep pressure on the vocal folds. This pressure creates the growling sound.

For a Rob Dukes style scream, do the same thing you would do with a death growl, but make it higher, and more shallow sounding.

The shape you make with your mouth, and the pressure created by the diaphragm are the most important factors in the sound of guttural vocals.

There are also clean screams, like Rob Halford or Bruce Dickinson' scream.
Sing loud and high, and you could also do an Ian Gillan falsetto scream like this.

Screaming really just takes practice and experimentation.
Screamo screams are just weak screams enhanced with machines.
Screamo is not real music, so if your going to scream, do it properly, so it will sound like a real heavy metal scream.