Am I doing this the best way? DM5 MIDI Trigger track..

TTOS

Feb 12, 2007
Southampton, UK
myspace.com
I was just wondering if there is an easier way to do this, I use Cubase SX3:

I use a Firepod to record using the 8 mic pres and the SPDIF (Via a V-Verb for A/D conversion) giving 10 tracks for drums. Because I've got a stupid big metal drum kit (5 toms, 2x kick) I don't use mics on the kicks prefering to record a midi track via the DM5 into Firepod, meaning I can also use editing and quantize for those little drummer errors.... I have no plans at all to use mics on the Kicks, for one I like the editing of midi, lack of inputs on my Firepod and as I'm only a home user doing mainly only stuff for my own band- the cost of two 112's is too much.

Because of latency (I guess) I usually drag the midi track to the right about 20ms to bring it in time with everything else. I've set up my DM5 as an external instrument and add that into the project, the DM5 is triggered from the recorded midi track. I then use Drumagog as an insert on the DM5 instrument and that's about it.
I've tried for what seems like forever to get drumagog working just from the recorded midi track without having to add the DM5 as an external instrument, but can't get it to work at all.
Basically, is there an easier way to do this? As in without having to 1st drag the midi track to the right and without having to add the DM5 as an external instrument?
Hope this makes sense!!!!

i tired something similar once with my DM5 and thought it was too big of a headache. I recommend getting another firepod. if you can't, share mics on the toms to use less tracks and mic the kicks. you can also trigger 2 kicks into the dm5 and record the audio out to save a channel too.