Am I nuts? Check out this drum mix please

DaveBlack

Apr 7, 2009
I mean, I get it...to each their own but a client says this snare is unpleasant and has too much punch whereas I think it'll work perfect in the context of the mix. Real overheads, kicks are programmed but the tracks were edited so the snare is about 20% his gretch and 80% browning snare.

He thinks it sounds overly midi yet proceeds to send me mnemic's deathbox which sounds like a machine gun one shot sample through out the entire song. Anyway heres the drum mix.

http://db.tt/sqplHuhp

has he heard it in context?

If not, throw a rough mix at him with everything in and see what he thinks of it.

personally, I have no problem with that snare ... there are a couple small editing boo-boos in there though ;)

shhhh lol. I know, I know it's not perfect editing wise. it'll get there though.

But that's basically what has to happen in order for him to understand. Thanks for the feed back man!

It's a philly party in here! Do you have a studio around here? I'm actually no longer in philly, more of the trevose/bensalem area. And thanks for the feedback, my sentiments exactly. the kick was def intended to be like that tho. I like my kicks like I like my women, thick and lacking dynamics.

sounds alright on its own. but it's hard to say without hearing it in context.. you do get people that like different sorts or snares though. Not everyone is going for that big punchy.. Maybe he wants a more woody/ringy one..

that kick gets a bit much after a while..