Am i stupid for being unhappy with this tone?

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
Man, so im really frustrated here with my 5150 and mic'ing. Im almost at the point of selling it.

So am i a tard for not being happy with this tone?

Please! be Brutally honest! I can take it!

I dont know what the deal is, there is just somthing about every tone i get that i dont like. To me this sounds blah.....

What do you think?

What am i doing wrong? Does it sound phasey to you? And if it does sound phasey....WTF its 4 separate takes. 2 different tones.

Sm57 on the edge of the cone.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=852198&songID=7518193

Updated.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=852198&songID=7518943

1 SM57 on the edge of the cone.....maybe alittle closer to the center then on the edge.
Into Profire 610
Cubase S4
Hi lo pass 60/12500
C4 on lower mids
4 takes

Maybe trying to use a different mic position on 2 of the 4 tracks would get you a thicker tone and as you stated less phasey sound too

I don't think it's the guitar tone you should be worrying about, the mix won't sound great just because the guitars are good (they really are).
I think you have work on the drums and try to find some nice multisamples.
You should also spend some time on getting a good bass tone since the mix is missing lows.

I don't think it's the guitar tone you should be worrying about, the mix won't sound great just because the guitars are good (they really are).
I think you have work on the drums and try to find some nice multisamples.
You should also spend some time on getting a good bass tone since the mix is missing lows.

Im using the SSD3.0

The bass has a huge bump in the low.....i guess i just have no clue how to EQ bass.

Im using the SSD3.0

The bass has a huge bump in the low.....i guess i just have no clue how to EQ bass.

Okey, then I can recommend using more Z4 on the snare for starters and you could play around with blending different samples.
If you search around here there is alot of great threads on how to process bass!

Edit. Poida.....is always telling me to work on my drums and bass. (over at the ESP forum) I just honestly dont know what else to do to them.

And any time i change them....they sound worse...lol
This shit is a never end cycle of frustration with me....haha. Love to hate kinda thing.

I'd say that tone is pretty solid. It does lose something around then end of the clip when the rhythm goes into the triplets...parts of the high notes seem to dissapear. That could be a different reason entirely though. Seems a little Right side heavy too. Strictly opinion though. Performance wise I like the initial riff the sample starts off with.

Great tone. I would suggest mare lows (probably more resonance than lows, to get that cab thunking a little), less mids, and play with the mic position a bit. You should have seen my setup on saturday. The band brings in a 5150, and a standard 1960b (fizzy ass hell). The mic ways WAY off axis, and directly in front of the dust cap. I ended up with it that way after i put some cans on walked into the room and started moving the mic until it sounded "right" and the fizz was mostly gone.

Hmm, yeah, this is definitely on the thin/fizzy side IMO, sounding more like what I typically think of the 5150 - however, your other clip (in the "I finally fixed my hollowness" thread) fucking dominated, so much upper-mid chunk (or maybe "chink" is more appropriate, though a bit edgy :lol: ) - keep doing what you did then!

Hmm, yeah, this is definitely on the thin/fizzy side IMO, sounding more like what I typically think of the 5150 - however, your other clip (in the "I finally fixed my hollowness" thread) fucking dominated, so much upper-mid chunk (or maybe "chink" is more appropriate, though a bit edgy :lol: ) - keep doing what you did then!

Yea i moved the mic like a TARD! :cry: