Am I the only guitarist who...

Originally posted by ChickenScratch

I happen to like my Line 6 Vetta, I'm not a follower who must have a Marshall to be metal, I play what I like.

I abhor Marshall. Mesa build quality is there, but not my thing either.

I just don't get the whole Line 6 thing... they try so hard to recreate everyone else's tube sound, but they fail miserably.

Originally posted by chileanmetal

In My case, I think it would be Insipid 2000, cuz it was the first IF song I listened to, but I also like Episode 666! Do you have any of your songs on your computer? If so, send them to me!
I'll try to record the guitar parts next week...

I'm almost done with my current song, I'll mix it down and send it to my computer to upload soon as I finish it :D

Originally posted by xenophobe

I abhor Marshall. Mesa build quality is there, but not my thing either.

I just don't get the whole Line 6 thing... they try so hard to recreate everyone else's tube sound, but they fail miserably.

People like Line 6 because it has a really nice distorted sound at lower levels. By this, I'm speaking of their Spyder combo amp model, which is the only one that was built with the circuitry to wrench a tremendous amount of overdrive out of it. The heads I don't like at all, as many people have said, they are weak, although that depends on what kind of music you play. It doesn't have that tight metal sound that really satisfies me. So the Spyder is good for a practice amp, an expensive one at that. BTW, if your not into marshall or mesa, what do you use? I've been trying to find a good stack setup myself, and mesa is definitely good but its not really for melodic death metal. Any idea what some of the melodic death/death bands use?

Yeah, good for practice amps. I can agree with that. heh

Right now I'm using:

Bogner Fish preamp 4 channel (8 12ax7s)
Mesa Strategy 400 (borrowed)
DBX DDP - Comp/limit/gate/EQ

I'm getting a T.C. Electronics G-Major to have some effects to play with. Sounds as good as an Evantide without many of the features, at 1/6 the price...
As for what I'd reccomend for a standalone head at any cost, the Bogner Uberschall. On a budget, Crate Voodoo, Peavey 5150.
Preamps: Rocktron Prophesy-Voodoo Valve - Chameleon, etc - CAE 3+ SE, Ignater 1E4.

there's wrong with not using effects but imo they can really help tighten up your tone or adding depth and atmosphere. Maybe its because when you think about using effects, you that you have to use them so that they're obvious. Not at all...for example, a use a little bit of chorus to thicken my tone, and maybe i'd use some flanger if i do a tapping lick or something. There's lots of possibilities. Effects aren't just there to make things sound weird or cool.

Yeah, you're right about that... However, I don't like effects in my straight signal...

Personally, I hate it when Chorus is added to a rythm tracks... but sounds great for intro/outro or leads...

I plan on using effects for stuff like that and just general noodling around.

Originally posted by xenophobe
Yeah, good for practice amps. I can agree with that. heh

Right now I'm using:

Bogner Fish preamp 4 channel (8 12ax7s)
Mesa Strategy 400 (borrowed)

To tell you the truth, I've never even heard of Bogner before, is it handmade like Mesa amps are? No stores around the upstate NY area I live in have them anyway :D

All Bogner Fish preamps were handmade by Reinhold Bogner himself, so they're pretty expensive, and out of production.

Bogner makes some great stuff, all of it is hand built. No cookie cutter, skimp on component cost, production from them.

Comparable in build quality to Soldano.

If you're looking for a head, try to find a dealer that carries the Bogner Uberschall. I haven't tried one yet, but I've heard a lot of people raving about the brutal crunch, tight, shattering low end, they're producing...

If you have a Mesa Recto, try putting a patch cord from your f/x send directly into the f/x return, and turn the blend to 80% or higher... it'll bring an additional 12ax7 (fx loop buffer) into the mix and tighten the bottom end a bit.

Our other guitarist likes to use as little as possible between his guitar and the amp. For instance, when he uses a Marshall, he uses only an Overdrive pedal to drive the amp since it's one of those single channel JCM800s, and he needs less distortion at times for clean sections. When he uses another amp like a Peavey that has a decent clean channel, he usually uses nothing else.

I, on the other hand am guilty as hell of using toys. I use a Marshall JCM800 as well, but mine's got a clean channel- however, I think it sounds like shit and isn't really clean, so I just use a Nobels ODR-1 Overdrive pedal to boost the amp when I need distortion, and leave the amp on the distorted channel with the gain and gain volume down about half way and turn the guitar volume down so it's a slightly dirty yet mostly clean Marshall-y tone. For distorted sections, I only use an OD pedal. For clean sections, I use a number of different effects, depending on what the section calls for or if there's something in particular we used on an album- like I used a Voodoo Labs Microvibe pedal in Silent Tomorrow, a VL Tremolo in Last God, a Boss CE-2 Chorus in stuff like Shadows of Light & Dark Fields, wah on Harmonny Divine, etc.

Most of the time, in a live setting, I use as little as possible- usually just guitar -> wah -> overdrive -> chorus -> amp. Most of the time (especially at festivals), you only have about 30 seconds to set up your equipment, so it's better to have less stuff.

Beyond distortion, most of my own stuff only has reverb on it... but effects can be cool when used in the right places. Heck, I don't even like to use a tremelo... my two main guitars are both hardtail. Effects have their place though, at least with me... used when appropriate for a certain mood or atmosphere in a song. And I'm definitely a big fan of delay on leadwork... that end echo tail off a lead can make for some cool transition effects from one part of a song to the next.

It's an individual taste thing I think... and probably also depends heavily on the kind of music you play.