Am I the only guitarist who...

Yeah, I don't care much for wahs either. Seems like everyone who uses one either uses it too much, or all-out relies on it... like a crutch or something.

Originally posted by Jotun
who only uses a distortion and no other sort of effects?!?! I hate it when someone asks me why I dont use a wah, or any otehr shit like that. The closest thing I get is a acoustic simulator pedal. Everything else is only distortion. My band thinks im a idiot cuz I dont like other effects. *sigh* Anyone else have the same problem as me or only uses distortion?

I only use the distortion on my amp...It´s a Crate and IT ROCKS!!! :headbang:

I do use AH´s and my whammy bar to make cool noises sometimes but that doesn´t count to effects right? :)

SAY NO TO EFFECTS!!:heh:

I'm assuming that you like In Flames as well by your name :D I've been playing heavy metal stuff for a long time too and I don't use many effects either. I find that they just get in the way. The only thing I really like to use is some delay for solos and some chorus on my clean channel. Other then that, adding effects like flange and shit to your overdrive just seems to take from your tone.
Do you live in the US btw? Its *impossible* to find good metal guitarists here to play with :D

Finally somebedy understood the "WWW" thing!!! BTW I can notice U like In Flames too! Do U have songs made by yourself? What kind of music have you played? Personally, I've been playing The Doors, Deftones, Faith NO More, Incubus. & I must say that I'm not what playing what I really like! In Flames, Arch Enemy, Soilwork, At The Gates, etc. But The Real problem is that is really hard to find rehersal sites and good drumers! BTW I'm from Chile, so there's a long way from here to USA

Originally posted by Jotun
who only uses a distortion and no other sort of effects?!?! I hate it when someone asks me why I dont use a wah, or any otehr shit like that. The closest thing I get is a acoustic simulator pedal. Everything else is only distortion. My band thinks im a idiot cuz I dont like other effects. *sigh* Anyone else have the same problem as me or only uses distortion?

You are not the only one, me too, and i thought that i was the only one!!!

Originally posted by chileanmetal
Finally somebedy understood the "WWW" thing!!! BTW I can notice U like In Flames too! Do U have songs made by yourself? What kind of music have you played? Personally, I've been playing The Doors, Deftones, Faith NO More, Incubus. & I must say that I'm not what playing what I really like! In Flames, Arch Enemy, Soilwork, At The Gates, etc. But The Real problem is that is really hard to find rehersal sites and good drumers! BTW I'm from Chile, so there's a long way from here to USA

I guess you are a long ways away then :D It's impossible to find people who are open minded enough to listen to stuff like in flames. Yeah I do have some stuff that I've written on my own, unfortunately I never really complete much of it because I don't have a band currently, although that's my goal for this summer. Hopefully I'll be getting a home recording studio: Pro tools LE pretty soon so I can let people here sound clips and shit. I know a lot of in flames songs, its damn good practice I'll tell you :D My guitar playing style is influenced heavily by them. Have you heard Gardenian? They have a lot of really good songs along the same lines of the other bands. If you haven't, check out the songs
"Doom And Gloom" & "Tomorrow's Gone".

See ya.

Dude, Peter Tatgtren (sp?) of Hypocrisy said he HATES anything between his guitar and his amp. He says that he feels that it's just more shit to trip over LOL!! But seriously, it's up to you how you like your sound. I had a DOD Death Metal distortion pedal....it sounded too...ugh. It sounded like no matter what setting it was on, the mid range was too low. I have a Digitech multieffects pedal now, but I really don't like the crunch on it. All the other effects kick ass, and I have written some KILLER clean and other effects with my rhythms, but I'm going to get the Metal Zone.

Yeah, DOD distortion is really a bit too noisy, thin, and raspy for my tastes.

Nothing is better than overdriven tube distortion, but you're usually going to be spending some decent money to get a good tube preamp.

The Metal Zone is actually decent. I have one for my practice rig. It could use a little eq when I'm using Bill Lawrence p'ups, but it's just fine with EMGs or the SD's in my soloist...

Soon I'll be getting a T.C Electronics G-Major... the fact it can control three amp/preamp channels is probably the bonus...

Other than that, just pure tube sound....

Then why are you playing a Line 6?

Sorry, but Line 6 sounds like ASS.

That Line 6 stuff is the most over-processed digital crap I've ever played....

It's more processed than My Bogner Fish, thru a Evantide/T.C./Rocktron into a tube poweramp, that's for sure.

That modeling crap is worse yet... get it to imitate a bunch of stuff, but not succeding in sounding like the stuff it tries to.

It's pretty great stuff (pod, pod pro, flextone, etc) if you're playing at bedroom levels, and decent if you're recording direct, but once you bring it up to gigging/mic'd PA levels, it's dead, flat, thin, and sounds lifeless...

I'd rather have a Marshall and a MT-2, and I hate Marshall and the MT-2 is a band-aid for amps that can't get real metal crunch out of their preamps...

Originally posted by JesterRace

I guess you are a long ways away then :D It's impossible to find people who are open minded enough to listen to stuff like in flames. Yeah I do have some stuff that I've written on my own, unfortunately I never really complete much of it because I don't have a band currently, although that's my goal for this summer. Hopefully I'll be getting a home recording studio: Pro tools LE pretty soon so I can let people here sound clips and shit. I know a lot of in flames songs, its damn good practice I'll tell you :D My guitar playing style is influenced heavily by them. Have you heard Gardenian? They have a lot of really good songs along the same lines of the other bands. If you haven't, check out the songs
"Doom And Gloom" & "Tomorrow's Gone".
See ya.

Hi! Home Record Studio??!!! Man! I want 1 of these too!! :lol:
I want to listen to your stuff! I invented a song a week ago and it sounds like in flames, not like copied :)lol:) but I'm prowd of it, I want that the singer sings it growling, but he can't do that, so I'll have to growl. Then, I made a guitar solo, and the guitarrist isn't good enough; again, I'll have to play the solo... and the female drummer is just starting to play (and she doesn't have a double bass drum)... so I'll leave the band to recruite some people that should be able and openminded enough to play this music.
What's your favorite IF song? mine is episode 666, Behind space... I like all of them!!
Sorry I haven't heard gardenian! but probably this wekk I will!

Originally posted by chileanmetal

Hi! Home Record Studio??!!! Man! I want 1 of these too!! :lol:
I want to listen to your stuff! I invented a song a week ago and it sounds like in flames, not like copied :)lol:) but I'm prowd of it, I want that the singer sings it growling, but he can't do that, so I'll have to growl. Then, I made a guitar solo, and the guitarrist isn't good enough; again, I'll have to play the solo... and the female drummer is just starting to play (and she doesn't have a double bass drum)... so I'll leave the band to recruite some people that should be able and openminded enough to play this music.
What's your favorite IF song? mine is episode 666, Behind space... I like all of them!!
Sorry I haven't heard gardenian! but probably this wekk I will!

Yeah, actually what I have right now is just a simple digital 4 track that I can export to my friend's computer to covert it to a file compatible with writing to a cd. I'm working on one particular song right now that a friend of mine tells me it sounds a lot like in flames. Very heavy low end but really melodic at the same time. It's hard to say whether I have a favorite song, although Jotun was the first one that I ever listened to, its probably my favorite. I can play a majority of the songs, but I can't recruit people to play melodic death metal either.

Originally posted by xenophobe
Then why are you playing a Line 6?

Sorry, but Line 6 sounds like ASS.

That Line 6 stuff is the most over-processed digital crap I've ever played....

It's more processed than My Bogner Fish, thru a Evantide/T.C./Rocktron into a tube poweramp, that's for sure.

That modeling crap is worse yet... get it to imitate a bunch of stuff, but not succeding in sounding like the stuff it tries to.

It's pretty great stuff (pod, pod pro, flextone, etc) if you're playing at bedroom levels, and decent if you're recording direct, but once you bring it up to gigging/mic'd PA levels, it's dead, flat, thin, and sounds lifeless...

I'd rather have a Marshall and a MT-2, and I hate Marshall and the MT-2 is a band-aid for amps that can't get real metal crunch out of their preamps...

I happen to like my Line 6 Vetta, I'm not a follower who must have a Marshall to be metal, I play what I like.

Originally posted by JesterRace

Yeah, actually what I have right now is just a simple digital 4 track that I can export to my friend's computer to covert it to a file compatible with writing to a cd. I'm working on one particular song right now that a friend of mine tells me it sounds a lot like in flames. Very heavy low end but really melodic at the same time. It's hard to say whether I have a favorite song, although Jotun was the first one that I ever listened to, its probably my favorite. I can play a majority of the songs, but I can't recruit people to play melodic death metal either.

In My case, I think it would be Insipid 2000, cuz it was the first IF song I listened to, but I also like Episode 666! Do you have any of your songs on your computer? If so, send them to me!
I'll try to record the guitar parts next week...