amateur looking for advice for Metal Drums!

Mikeyprs

New Metal Member
Dec 24, 2010
England, UK
www.myspace.com
Well... where shall we start... :D

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....204662165260.276634.505365260&type=3&theater \m/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....204662165260.276634.505365260&type=3&theater (just ignore the drummer there :rofl:)

This be the things that get shall be hit with long wooden things by some maniac which and whom I'll be looking to record in the near future, the room is one of two ‘live’ rooms of a local practise studio in my town.

It’s actually my brother’s kit a DDrum defiant model in sparkle grey just for the record, evans heads all round – switched from Remos and since the since I’ve been quite the evans fan lol.

Anyway…I know said local studio has 12 inputs available ( I do need to find out more specific info in regards to what mics they have available and stuff) however, I'm of the persuasion to use my own recording pc rig (Tascam us1641, Cubase etc) but that would mean I'd have to buy mic pres to take advantage of the line-in inputs though (as far as I understand).
When discussing this with a new acquaintance of mine on the book of faces, he asked..

“do you need all 14? the best sound I've ever had has come from just 8 or 9”

see now, the answer to that question I don't know 100% as I’d like to try and have as much control over the kit (given the song i'll be recording as a trial run per se as the song is in the 195-200 bpm tempo range) as I can whilst also recording more then I need rather then leaving myself a little short when it comes to mix

Good old trial and error haha, I’m a sucka for doing things the hard way

A link of a demo i recorded a short while ago shall be below!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/glag885b1jvln3j/Gee, Dysphoria Demo.mp3

This is the mic layout I was thinking of...

2x kick mics - one inside, one outside (I'll probably do a DIY subkick for out).
2x Snare - Top & Bottom
3x Toms
Hi-hat and ride mics
2x overhead mics
2x room mics

The room I plan to be recording in sounds pretty awesome to me, not the room that said drum kit was pictured in mind although it's pretty awesome sounding room too (I can get pictures of it if people are interested to see).

I currently own a pair of Audix F15 SDC’s, 2 sm57's and a rode nt1-a (although I almost won't use the rode though at this point) the local studio/practice has a few mics but I'm not 100% sure of what they have besides a Shure beta 52 kick (as I say I do need to do a little bit more research on what the studio has) and the only reason I know this is because I’ve borrowed it to record practice sessions before now.

I am planning on saving up for said mic pres for the Tascam as well as a few extra microphones and what not debating on whether to buy a preferably ‘not-to-inexpensive’ drum mic’ing kit or something – like I say I’m not 100% sure on what I’m doing just yet (won’t be a couple months for I even hit record so that’s cool) I would just like some perspective/ideas/opinions! (Y)

Feel free to fire away with any questions!

ju8e3ade.jpg

I can only tell you how I would track that kit:

2 mics on the kick (usually a subkick and a D6)
2 mics on the snare
3 rack tom mics
1 floor tom mic
2 overhead mics
1 hat mic
1 ride mic depending on how much that's needed
1-2 room mics if the room sounded good

Thar ya go 14 tracks. :lol:

I would be ok with axing the hat or ride mic depending.

My personal mic locker would make that look like this:

- home made subkick and D6 on the kick
- audix i5 on the top of snare, senn e609 on the bottom
- audix f15 on hats and ride
- sm57s on all rack toms
- akg D112 on the floor tom
- RE200 pair on overheads
- EV PC boundary on the room

I have a blue reactor and a studio projects C1 left for other room crap if I needed. I would set them up in a mid side configuration somewhere farther back in the room. The boundary would most likely end up out in front of the kit.

For anyone curious about the PC boundary, it sucks inside the kick drum. I was kind of bummed when I tried it because I got it on the cheap ($100). It is however a pretty cool room mic.