MICING DRUMS

Uncle Junior

Jun 24, 2009
Slovenia
Ok guys, here's the thing.

I have the BFD2 program form drums. This Vst has a 300Gb library with platinum quality sounds of different brands. You can build your own kit, and also choose a size of your kit like this:

fxpansion_bfd2_kit_18piece.jpg

Then you have a map to wirte grooves and stuff....but that's not the point.

I'm interested in miking drums as goes for the ROOM, OH, and AMB miking.
Interface looks like this:

bfd2-486_3.jpg

Now every drum kit part has it's own mic. Like Snare top, snare bottom, kick in, kick out, toms, and all other precussions. Every mic I just mentioned has some bleed of some other drum kit part. Example: "You can hear hi-hat on the snare track."

On the first picture, on the upper right corner you can see options for sending a particular drum kit piece to the room, oh and amb mics.

On the second picture on the right you can see a room with the drum kit and options to set up the Room, OH and Amb mics as goes for Distance and width.

Now What I'm asking here is how would these room, oh and amb mics be set-up for some casual metal drums...

1. How much send of each piece on room and oh?

2. And how should be these Room, oh and amb mics place as goes for Distance and width?

I don't think it's fair to say that you should add -5db of room sound and a narrow room width or a wide one for that matter.I think these features are available to give you options of adding depth and dimension to your overall drum sound and the same thing would apply in a real situation.
Obviously in Metal the sound is focused punchy crisp so you can experiment with these settings to find what works with the music your writing recording.
Room mics are used as a blend for the most part.They can be used as an effect in certain parts of a given track,they can be used as the major contributor to the main drum sound if you're working in a different genre.
Oheads capture the sound of the whole kit and the individual mics on toms etc help in focusing that particular piece i.e kick,snare.
Same things would apply for ambiance mics as room mics.

Try getting your sounds happening with the drumkit and overheads and then blend some room or ambience to the amount that sounds good to your ears.Too much can make it all abit wish washy but that just comes down to what your going for.
Experiment with distances you may make discoveries you weren't aware of.