AMD Dual Core at 50% on idle?

CJWall

Oct 21, 2005
Southwest Florida, USA
ayy.

just got an AMD 64 x2 4200 computer and for some reason im idling at almost 50% cpu with nothing open and all processes closed except for those critical to windows..

anyone maybe know why?

im using an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo..

ahhh, help!

Get the AMD dual core optimizer from the site and install the mobo drivers and any extra stuff that comes with it...

I have the same CPU...

Get the AMD dual core optimizer from the site and install the mobo drivers and any extra stuff that comes with it...

I have the same CPU...

Good advice. I run the 4800+, never had an problems yet. What i find odd, is that I sold a computer on friday nite built around a 4200+ and it was running at 40 degs not o'c'd which is much hotter than any of the other amds i have had (venice core 3000+ idle @ 22 degs stock cooling, 4800+ toledo oc'd mildly from 2.4ghz to 2.6ghz only hits 38 degs mark after a half life 2 deathmatch).

What sort of temperatures are you two getting?

Anyways, @ the problem, is it staying bang on 50 at idle, and does it drop below it ever? Is the computer squeaky clean of anything malicious?

when i ctr alt del, under the performance tab it my cpu meter usage reads 50% at idle a few mintues into logging in to xp.

i have amd cool n quiet enabled, which i tried disabling to no avail. i thien tried the ms hotfix for dual cores w/the registry file and all, still nothing.

i read that users of asus board were advised against installing the amd dual core optimizer? any insight to this?

when i ctr alt del, under the performance tab it my cpu meter usage reads 50% at idle a few mintues into logging in to xp.

i have amd cool n quiet enabled, which i tried disabling to no avail. i thien tried the ms hotfix for dual cores w/the registry file and all, still nothing.

i read that users of asus board were advised against installing the amd dual core optimizer? any insight to this?

Asus board user and use the dual core optimizer as one of my first "installs" on every new windows install i do.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/Setup.exe

awesome man, thanks for your help. so i should just install this, let it does its thing and thats it?

will enabling cool and quiet hinder this process at all?

Iäm not promising it'll be the solution, but i know my 4200 uses optimizer on an ASUS board and i have ZRO troubles like this.

My logic is, if IT's showing 50% usage, ONE of the cores isn't being seen by windows...

You checked that both are showing up on ctrl alt delete?

Give DCO a go and report back!

Iäm not promising it'll be the solution, but i know my 4200 uses optimizer on an ASUS board and i have ZRO troubles like this.

My logic is, if IT's showing 50% usage, ONE of the cores isn't being seen by windows...

You checked that both are showing up on ctrl alt delete?

Give DCO a go and report back!

i thought it had worked at first but.. im still seeing 50% cpu usage at idle. how do i check if both are showing up?

edit: now i see, seperate graphs for each.. yes, one is very low and the other screen looks to be the one that is topping out almost..

thanks again for your help man...