protools and amd dual core??

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
Well I'm looking to build a faster pc since i have to bounce things just to finish a mix and it's getting real annoying. I'm wanting to get a amd 64 x2 and with motherboard recommended on digi site its a socket 939 and with that socket you can only goe to 4200+.

I'm really wanting to step up to something like a 5200+ or maybe a little bigger like 5600+ if i can afford it. But I'm lost on what motherboard is compatible and i need firewire port on motherboard so i don't have to spend extra and buy pci card for that.

So is anyone here running digi002 with amd dual core bigger than 4200+?

Make it easy on your self, but a Mac Pro and watch all those PC problems vanish (not all problems, but allot of compatibility problems). Why go the hard way round a make a "super" computer. Just buy a Mac Pro and continue with making music. If you have to bounce to finish a mix doesnt that tell you something about PC's and pro tools? Its a no brainer, how many pro studios use pro tools and PC? not many, how many have a Mac Pro under the desk. simple no brainer.

Make it easy on your self, but a Mac Pro and watch all those PC problems vanish (not all problems, but allot of compatibility problems). Why go the hard way round a make a "super" computer. Just buy a Mac Pro and continue with making music. If you have to bounce to finish a mix doesnt that tell you something about PC's and pro tools? Its a no brainer, how many pro studios use pro tools and PC? not many, how many have a Mac Pro under the desk. simple no brainer.

I say this as a mac user myself but thats not really fair. Theres no real problem running tools on a PC. Without starting the same old tired debate use the search function to look up mac vs pc

Well I'm looking to build a faster pc since i have to bounce things just to finish a mix and it's getting real annoying. I'm wanting to get a amd 64 x2 and with motherboard recommended on digi site its a socket 939 and with that socket you can only goe to 4200+.

I'm really wanting to step up to something like a 5200+ or maybe a little bigger like 5600+ if i can afford it. But I'm lost on what motherboard is compatible and i need firewire port on motherboard so i don't have to spend extra and buy pci card for that.

So is anyone here running digi002 with amd dual core bigger than 4200+?

Hey Dude,

939 will take all 939 chips unless there's some restriction in place on the motherboard somehow. I've got the 939 4800+ clocked at 2.6ghz now per core on a cheap £25 mobo, and running like lightning with 3G of RAM. i woulnt buy 939 now if you're wanting AMD- get a AM2. You do know the Intels are performing a bit better at the moment? Even still, this baby does everything and more though ;)

Agreed elmuchoescadawg, there is no point getting into the Mac vc PC debate. There really shouldnt be a debate in the first place, Buy a Mac! hahah only joking, buy what you want, but be be warned tools and PC = lots of head aches. I just cant see the point in spending hours and hours deciding and planning what to build? simple answer is buy a mac pro and get on with making music. Why spend all those hours planning to make that "super PC"? Personally i want a platform that is stable and as simple as possible, i dont want to be worrying that the PC is gonna crash half way through a session, not to mention the compatibility issues with digidesign. And im not by any stretch of the imagaination saying mac's are perfect, they arent, they are just more stable for tools. At the end of the day if that's what you like using then use it, just want to make it a little easier for you that's all.

I've got an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ dual core using an Asus mobo. w/2 gig of ram.

PT, Nuendo, etc. all work great, but I really wish I had a quad Intel to be honest.

I'm hitting the ceiling on my system VERY quickly (even at a 4000+ buffer size on a 003R, which means I can forget about mixing in PT due to the 1024 buffer limit).

Thank god for the Freeze function in Nuendo.

I've got an AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ dual core using an Asus mobo. w/2 gig of ram.

PT, Nuendo, etc. all work great, but I really wish I had a quad Intel to be honest.

I'm hitting the ceiling on my system VERY quickly (even at a 4000+ buffer size on a 003R, which means I can forget about mixing in PT due to the 1024 buffer limit).

Thank god for the Freeze function in Nuendo.

That surprises me a bit! Have you OC'd the chip? I think they can over clock a little quite nicely :)